Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT
Just got my PTR-91k today. First thing I noticed is the mag fits quite loosely, but locks in place. Might not be a problem.

However, the 30 rounder(possibly S.A.), will NOT lock into place unless the bolt is held back...at which point it the bolt will not close because the mag is too high in the magwell.

Is it just my 30 rounder or could my magwell be out of spec?

The 30 itself does look like its feed lips have been seperated by the previous owner, but that shouldn't have an effect on the mag needing to be 2mm higher in the magwell before locking would it?

As for the rifle, looks beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The looseness is OK.  It should not effect anything.  What is the make of the 30 rounder?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The 30 rounder looks 100% identical to the pic Floida GunWorks has on their website.

I am new to these types of rifles, so that is the best I can do. I think someone said those styles are South African, but there are copies of that particular style too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
might the 30rd be a CETME mag? I think they are slightly different but mostly will work in the 91's

mags loaded to full capacity(download 1) will not lock unless the bolt is back
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This was an unloaded test. My mag is 100% identical looking to this one, unless I have a copy of it.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=120&Category_Code=HKA+HK91G3+MAGS

Comparing the 20 it came with side by side with the 30, it almost appears that the upper lips of the 30 are angled slightly upwards, whereas the 20's are angled more down(both since they aren't sperated).

As I said, they look like they have been seperated on the 30. The lower lips seem to have the same angle of my 20...so I am thinking the seperation IS the problem, and the top lips should be bent down to match the lower ones angle, making a single fused lip.

If that is true...why the hell did the prvevious owner do this? Would overuse cause it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm...

With my PTR-91 mags have a little side play, but it's not sloppy.  They don't drop free when I hit the release button.

It seems some guns have pretty loose mag wells and others are more snug.  I haven't heard that this variation has caused any functional problems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd personally stick with the 20s.

Quoted:
mags loaded to full capacity will not lock unless the bolt is back

Which is, of course, how you're supposed to load the G3 series of rifles. With the bolt back first.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is, of course, how you're supposed to load the G3 series of rifles. With the bolt back first.

Oh I plan to. But I HAD to have one large capacity to go with the rifle...you know how it is.

How are the Thermolds? I've been thinking of getting a few of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Fistpoint, I have five Thermold magazines that are for sale.  They were new when I bought them and I fired ten rounds out of each of them.  I will sell them all for $90.00 including shipping.  If less than five are needed, they are $20.00 each plus shipping.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fistpoint, I have five Thermold magazines that are for sale.  They were new when I bought them and I fired ten rounds out of each of them.  I will sell them all for $90.00 including shipping.  If less than five are needed, they are $20.00 each plus shipping.

Still recovering from the cost...also ordering an A3 tomorrow which means trigger parts now needed. After those items are purchased I'll be looking for the Therms. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I plan to. But I HAD to have one large capacity to go with the rifle...you know how it is.

How are the Thermolds? I've been thinking of getting a few of them.

The only Thermold I own is a 20 round 5.56mm AR15 mag. It's given me far less trouble than my 2 Colt 20s (it doesn't try to throw the last 2 rounds into the chamber at the same time).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still recovering from the cost...also ordering an A3 tomorrow which means trigger parts now needed. After those items are purchased I'll be looking for the Therms. Thanks though.

Understand fully.  I bought these a year ago.  They basically are a quick fix for 922(r) compliance parts.  Each mag counts for three US parts.  But since then I've invested in US fire control parts and no longer need them for that purpose.  Secondly, I like the look of the orginal HK mags better.  So in any event, there out there for what I paid for them to anyone who needs a parts fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top