Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:15 PM EDT
I went to pick up another PTR-91 today but backed out on the deal.
The mag well was so loose it rattled with a magazine in.  It really seemed
like the magwell is out of spec.

I checked on my old PTR-91 when i got home (its an early one that didn't come with a flash hider) just to make sure I wasn't overeacting.  That early PTR was much tighter on the mag fit.  Its was very similar to my HK-91. Both of them have some looseness but its not a lot of movement.

How tight do mags fit in your PTR-91  Are all the newer PTRs coming out this loose?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
My newest has a serial number over 4,000  .

The other one just over 2,000.

Both have a little wiggle,but I wouldn't say there
loose.
Their pretty much the same.
I'd say if it's enough wiggle to actually bang around ,
I'd pass.

This could have a lot to do with an out of spec magazine release
or catch as well .
They do make their own magazine catch parts now,but I don't
know if my newer rifle has them or not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
My new PTR-based Vector V51 has a very tight mag well.  No wiggle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, guys.  I really think that PTR I was going to buy had an out of spec magwell.
The rifle literally make a rattle noise from the mag flopping around when you mildly shook
the gun.

I'm glad I passed on it but now I'm a little scared to order one.  I better try to find another
one in stock somewhere so I can check another one out before I buy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
40XX here too and it is wiggly, less front to back, more so side to side.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually the front to back motion isn't the concern.  Its the side to side that flops
around too much.  Since JLD uses HK plans and CNC machining the only thing I could think
of that caused the problem was when the reciever was welded up.  Might have had a newbie
on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My new (A4XXX) PTR seems like a tight fit. You can physically move the mag a tiny bit but not by shaking the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an early one A7XX, the mag. fit seems tight.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Let me address this from personal experience-

I ordered a PTR though Atlantic recently (Dec) and the mag well was very loose.  I talked to JLD and they told me I could send it in.  Cost me $18 to ship.

Got it back in 1 week and the megwell is now very snug- scrapes the mags when I insert them and they will not drop free.  So at least  they do not rattle as before.  I am satisfied with the customer service- they even included a free 20 rd alloy mag in the return shipment.

I will say it has been 100% relaible and pretty accurate too.

I do not have a whole lot of experience with .308 rifles in general or HK type rifles specifically.  All my experience is with ARs, AKs, Mini's, etc.  But even at that- I felt the mag well play was excessive.  

JLD took care of me though- excellent CS.  I like the reliability- the recoil is nothing to be intimidated by and the BOOM is pretty impressive vs. the loud BANG of the 5.56.

But that said- I think they may have a minor QC issue they should look into.

MFP_4073

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Let me also add- the 'play' I experienced was side-to-side.  I measured it and the play was 7-8mm from left to right.  

It may not sound like much but to be able to 'wiggle' the mag that much seemed very odd.

MFP_4073
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me also add- the 'play' I experienced was side-to-side.  I measured it and the play was 7-8mm from left to right.  

It may not sound like much but to be able to 'wiggle' the mag that much seemed very odd.

Not to mention the noise.  The gun making that much of a rattle noise with the mag in really
irritated me.  Good to know they addressed  the problem so quickly, however.

Now I guess I have to ask myself if I should buy that one I looked at and send it  in or just  wait for another one to come along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top