Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:49 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a .308 rifle and am soliciting input from owners of the PTR-91 regarding your overall satisfaction with the rifle...

How would you rate the recoil from this rifle as compared to a M-14 (M1A)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I can't compare my PTR to a M1A, since I don't own an M1A (yet?), but I can say that G3 (fit PTR)  mags are available everywhere for $1 each and that can't possibly be a bad thing.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in a unique position to answer this so I'd better.  A friend and I were comparing them just yesterday side by side.

He's got his M1A set up about as well as he can get it.  Both of us were able to keep it inside 1 MOA at 100 with match ammo.

I just got my PTR and haven't scoped it yet.  I'll tell you this though; I was impressed.  With irons, and the shooter slowing down and taking his time, it was shooting inside 3".  I cant wait to see what it will shoot once I get a decent optic on it.

It flings brass so far and so consistently that  we were joking about brass group size.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have owned the M1A[A fine rifle]The PTR has stiffer recoil.I haven't really  shot the PTR at the same distance,200,300 and 600 that I did with the M1A.At 100 yards both are equal.Quality is better with the JLD versus a new Springfield M1A.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The recoil from a stock PTR is higher than that of an
M1A .Out of the box.

The PTR still has less of a recoil than the original HK-91.

JLD's barrel uses 10 flutes instead of the original 12 used
in the HK-91 in an effort to reduce the rifles kick.

This is out of the box.

There are several ways to reduce the kick if you wanted.

Soft rubber but pad,G3 heavy buffer ,a screw on recoil compensator ,
all have been made for years and don't require mods to work.

I've seen a lot of people trying to compare a stock M1A to a stock
PTR to see which is better before purchasing one.

I think this comparison is unfair.

Stock M1As start out around what $1,200 ?
Stock PTRs cost around $650 -$800 depending on model.

Excluding your scope preferance,you can have everything you want
on a PTR-91 for less than the entry cost to the M1A.

I think that's more important to consider than a stock "out of the box"
comparison.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot my PTR91 for the first time yesterday, and I am very happy with it.
Fit and finish are excellent, and I actually thought the recoil was less than my dad's
M1A.

Buy an PTR91. you won't regret it.
And you guys were right about slinging the brass.
It was throwing my brass about 40 feet to the right and forward of my shooting lane.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an old M1A and a new JLD, I don't find a significant difference in the magnitude of felt recoil or my ability to get back on target, but the recoil impluse is a bit different between the two.  My bottom line is it doesn't matter based on my perceptions of the two guns, no advantage for either side.

I find the accuracy to be comparable, with good ammo.  I find the ergonomics of the M1A more to my liking that the G3 style rifles which feel out of balance to me.  I find the controls (mag release, bolt operation and safety) of the M1A are easier for me.

The cost of the JLD and it's magazines are dramatically lower as others have observed here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all for your valuable input...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought my second JLD about a month ago.  Can't say anything at all bad about them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bought a PTR91 myself and have been very happy.  Don't own an M1A, so I can't compare.  Do own an FAL, and the PTR91 definitely has more of a kick.  Personally, I like the balance of the FAL better.  But I would say the PTR91 is more accurate and definitely has better sights.

One word of warning on the PTR91, the trigger is very heavy.  I'm right handed and left eye dominant so I shoot left handed.  Always have.  After 30-40 rounds my finger literally starts cramping.  It's all I can do to pull the trigger.  This wouldn't be quite as much of a problem if I was using my dominant hand, but still the trigger is very heavy.

Of course there are solutions to this problem, and I'm actually sending out trigger pack for a trigger job.  Once the trigger work is done and I've got an optic mounted on this baby, it's going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Any complaints with the lack of a bolt hold-open feature?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any complaints with the lack of a bolt hold-open feature?

My inch receiver FAL doesn't hold the bolt open either, so I am used to it.

It would be very nice though if it had that feature. We are all spoiled
by AR's.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I shot my PTR91 for the first time yesterday, and I am very happy with it.
Fit and finish are excellent, and I actually thought the recoil was less than my dad's
M1A.

Buy an PTR91. you won't regret it.
And you guys were right about slinging the brass.
It was throwing my brass about 40 feet to the right and forward of my shooting lane.

You going to bring that bad boy to Camden?  If my BW5 FSA is in I'm bringing it.  If I decide to get a CFS G3 clone, that will be along too.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Ex Owner of a NIB HK 91 that I sold for big $$ after the ban (and regret it still today).

Bought a PTR-91K about 6 months ago and have to say it is as good as my real HK.

Not one bad thing to say. Not one. Great Gun. Great Price and Great Shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top