Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 1:37:48 AM EDT
what type of range does it give acuately?

i think id decide to go more modern for big game

i am looking at a high power scope and 500 yards want to know if this would work for elk
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
How far can YOU shoot it accurately? I would think that shooting elk are 500 yards with it might be a wee bit optimistic. 300, maybe 400. The barrel is short and the flutes decrease velocity as well.

It would be a great bush rifle, if you dont mind the weight, but something like a Remington Sendero in .300 WM might be more useful to you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The PTR is a battle rifle not a hunting rifle.  If you where dead set on using it as a hunting rifle, I think you would get tired of lugging it around the woods all day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]

something like a Remington Sendero in .300 WM might be more useful to you

Combat_Jack is wise.  The Sendero is (IMO) the ultimate game killing machine.  Those bastards need to get off the stick and start making them again.  We wants one!  want want want (local FFL has a sweet 22-250 Sendero, but my next bolt gun will be a 270 short mag).

Not that a .308 doesn't make a nice hunting rifle (my old man's calibre of choice)...

Dunno about 500 yards though ( I wouldn't shoot anything that far when hunting... but that's just me)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a HK91 for deer hunting. And I shot a antelope with it.

I don't know about shooting a shooting out to 500 yards, but I feel very comfortable shooting out to 250 yards.

The HK 91 is a heavy weapon, and it only gets more heavy when you had a scope and claw mount and bipod. That said the HK91 will never jam like a Remington or Browning semi auto.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

something like a Remington Sendero in .300 WM might be more useful to you

Combat_Jack is wise.  The Sendero is (IMO) the ultimate game killing machine.  Those bastards need to get off the stick and start making them again.  We wants one!  want want want (local FFL has a sweet 22-250 Sendero, but my next bolt gun will be a 270 short mag).

Not that a .308 doesn't make a nice hunting rifle (my old man's calibre of choice)...

Dunno about 500 yards though ( I wouldn't shoot anything that far when hunting... but that's just me)

They discontinued the Sendero? Jerks!

Next fall (2006) my old man is taking a .338 Lapua moose hunting. He's getting old, and stalking is hard on his knees .

500 yards is a LONG way to shoot at game. Make sure you shoot that far before you try it. My brother killed a moose at 500 yards, but only because the rifles drop was known--from the window of the stand to the pond the moose was drinking at. One shot, then a finishing shot when we walked down.  Rifle was a .375, which is NOT a long range caliber by any means.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]

They discontinued the Sendero? Jerks!

I'm told (worth what I paid for it... i.e. nothing) that it's just a marketing gimmick and that once demand is sufficiently high again they'll re-release the sendero.

Have I mentioned that I want one?  gimme gimme gimme, mine mine mine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i carry a century g3 clone hunting and it works fine.  i just use open sights, it is rare i see a shot longer than 125-150 yds.  i made the mistake of loading up all 20rds the first time. it gets heavy with that much ammo and bush wacking.  i fixed that by only loading 3-5 rds  and aluminum 20 or i also bought a few cetme 5 rd.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what type of range does it give acuately?

i think id decide to go more modern for big game

i am looking at a high power scope and 500 yards want to know if this would work for elk

Your better off with a .50 BMG A .308 is marginal at 200 yards for elk/moose to say the least, let alone 500 yards.  JLD sells 5 round mags for hunting - You get caught hunting with a full 20 round magazine here in Alaska, they lock you up
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
CK, if .300 magnum is enough for moose at 500 yards (and it is) then .308 ought to be good to 300 or 400 on an elk (lighter animal anyway).
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
OK........To each his own - I thought elk were a little tough to take down? Oh well, what do I know, not too many elk in this part of the world. I do know that 300-400 yards for a 30-06 sounds more likely in the real world, as in the  last Caribou I harvested on a solo hunt.

My main hunting gun/round for Black/Brown Bear & Moose in Alaska is MOD 70 in a 338 Win Mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top