Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 5:54:47 AM EDT
Just wondering how hard it is to build a G3. I see receivers and parts kits all over the place. What kind of work goes into it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to press thye barrel into the trunion and do some welding.  Not a do-it yourself project unless you have a press and you're very experienced in shop work.

There are a lot of people who do good build work.  Jayson Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms is very good with good turn around times.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You could try these.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180347
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just finshed one.  Built on a SW3 receiver, one of the FMP flats bent in MI.  Got the kit from ORF. and it was real nice.

There is welding and quite a bit shop work needed to get it built.  If you have access to some basic tooling, you can do it.  If you don't or can't weld, a local welding shop can do all the welding for you.  I didn't press the barrel out to weld the trunnion.  As stout as the trunnion is, I don't see burning through it.  Just go slow with the welding and let it cool completely before moving on to the next area.

I would never steer anyone away from trying to build something themselves, so I say try it.

I found it quite challenging and a completely different type of build/project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need to press thye barrel into the trunion and do some welding.  Not a do-it yourself project unless you have a press and you're very experienced in shop work.

There are a lot of people who do good build work.  Jayson Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms is very good with good turn around times.

You dont need to press the barrel out of the trunion unless the bolt gap is that that it cant be brought into spec with new rollers.

With this in mind, you should check BG before you start your build and before you remove the cut reciver from the trunion area. If you plan on using the barrel in the kit you can used the barreled trunion as is with triple frame in tact.
As mentioned a little welding is needed.

If you are doing a standard rebuild of a full size then it really is not that difficult.  When you start cutting them down to G3K and 51 lengths it gets a bit more complicated.

Know this, building a G3 is not a cheaper way to go about it unless you do it yourself. I am currently working on a HK51 pistol. I have only a few welds and refinsh to go. SHould be done in a couple weeks.
CH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:10:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have only a few welds and refinsh to go. SHould be done in a couple weeks.
CH

Only a few welds and refinish, that is going to take you a few weeks?  

There are only a few welds in the whole thing?  Mine took about a day an a half to do.  That included building a few jigs to make the job easier.

Good luck either way you decide to go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have only a few welds and refinsh to go. SHould be done in a couple weeks.
CH

Only a few welds and refinish, that is going to take you a few weeks?  

There are only a few welds in the whole thing?  Mine took about a day an a half to do.  That included building a few jigs to make the job easier. Which route did you go on the cocking tube? Did you weld straight to the reciever or cut the rec back and weld the cocking tube back towards the rear of the rec?

Good luck either way you decide to go.

Schedules my good man schedules.
For example, I spent the entire day on the ball feild with my daughter. Most of the week I am working or chasing kids in one sport or another. When I sit down to complete it will be one session and without interuption. I learned long ago wrenching on mausers to never rush a job and that my best work was doen without a pressing timeline

CH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
CH...

I cleaned up the old weld line at the cocking tube/receiver.  There were also 2 spot welds on the sides so I spotted them on my mill.  

When it was all finished, it was a full length clean cocking tube so I just inserted it, plug welded it about where the spot welds were and seamed the cocking tube/receiver interface.  

I am not a big fan of  "unsightly" welds, so I cleaned and polished everywhere I welded and will shoot it with DuraCoat as soon as I order my next batch.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
CH...

I cleaned up the old weld line at the cocking tube/receiver.  There were also 2 spot welds on the sides so I spotted them on my mill.  

When it was all finished, it was a full length clean cocking tube so I just inserted it, plug welded it about where the spot welds were and seamed the cocking tube/receiver interface.  

I am not a big fan of  "unsightly" welds, so I cleaned and polished everywhere I welded and will shoot it with DuraCoat as soon as I order my next batch.  

Cool. The pistol build is a bit more detailed however. I chose to weld straight to the reciever and cut the cocking handle slot and catch by hand. I will agree that a standard rifle build can be done in a day if you just sit down and do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top