Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:36:36 AM EDT
Could someone shed some light on this new ban.  When was it enacted?  Who spear-headed it?  I've been across  the Pacific.  I must have missed it then.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not a new ban...

They are just "enforcing" an existing law.

Basically people have been using "non-sporting imported" barrels from "kits" to assemble "new" weapons.  Technically you are only allowed to repair or replace an existing barrel with one of the barrels that was imported.

According to most accounts this new push came from  very very top officials, not just Bailey crying about it.

Basically they just made it harder for us to have cheap (cheaper) guns made. The barrels are legal in the US, but not for building "new" guns with them after they get here as individual barrels or in a parts kit.

US ingenuity found a slight loophole in the importation law and people up top didn't like it so they started enforcing it, go figure  

This just means that US barrel makers will have to fill in the void once the imported barrels are all used up... This means more cost added to your gun... and you can almost forget cold-hammer forged barrels  

This really only affects people that build from surplus kits like AKs, HKs, FALs, FNCs,+ many more... shit, the list is longer than I thought... I think AKs, HKs, and FALs are probably the hardest hit though... I could be wrong ?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response, bones21.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there any US made barrels available?

who makes them?

I've been putting off a G3 build for 3 years. does that mean i cant send my parts to IGF and have it built?

or does it just mean that i need a US barrel and all is good?

Sorry for all the questions, i just got around to thinking about this new finding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
This will not affect your build.

Exactly what parts do you have ?  A complete G3 kit ?

If so, then you just have to worry about compliance parts, nothing new.

Also, check out JLD :  www.jldenter.com
for any parts you may need for you project.

They have everything !
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are there any US made barrels available?

who makes them?

I've been putting off a G3 build for 3 years. does that mean i cant send my parts to IGF and have it built?

or does it just mean that i need a US barrel and all is good?

Sorry for all the questions, i just got around to thinking about this new finding.

The only thing effected is importing barrels.  Anything already in the US is good to go.

So if you already have the barrel, no sweat.. get that sucker built!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top