Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:46:13 PM EDT
I've put about 2k rounds through my PTR so far.  The setup is a standard length PTR with Factory HK wide forend w/ factory HK bipod, Springfield trigger job, B&T mount, Sightron SII mil dot 4-16X42 scope, and a Top Notch clone MSG-90 stock.   It has been great, but it really surprised me today.  

I wanted to get it zeroed at 200m.  I figured it would be much harder to zero it 200m than 100m because every error I make will open up the group twice as much.  So I cheated and bought this rest  www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213584.  I know it's not the best but it worked well.

Anyways after about 15 min of messing with it I got her zeroed in perfectly (well for me).  Anyways I was very surprised just how accurate PTR's can be.  I remember alot of people claiming a HK91 is a 3-4moa rifle.  I guess the heavy barrel helps because I shot 4 three shot groups after I had it zeroed and none of them were more than 2.25" at 200 meters using South African Surplus ammo.  I saved the best target:  .  

Anyways I just was just amazed and wanted to share.  I will fully admit that I'm not the best shot otherwise I wouldn't have needed the rest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice group.
Now how about a pic of the rifle?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Very nice group.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=186633
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice group.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=186633

Thanks .  Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice shooting. I'm looking to possibly get a PTR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
How different are the barrels of a military spec G3 versus the PTR-91?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

PTR91 barrels are heavy profile with reduced number of chamber flutings.  Also I know that military spec barrels are hammer forged, not sure if that's the case with PTR barrels.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PTR91 barrels are heavy profile with reduced number of chamber flutings.  Also I know that military spec barrels are hammer forged, not sure if that's the case with PTR barrels.  

The PTR does not have a hammer forged barrerl.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
As a old time HK owner (who mistakenly sold them for a ton of $$ after the ban) I just picked up a PTR-91K (16" barrel) and , dare I say it, like it better than my old HK's.

Even if I only "think" its better - it's a great toy.

Oh yeah, my AR-15 Colt is fun too!

BTW, did you use a scope? Is so, how you grouping without?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As a old time HK owner (who mistakenly sold them for a ton of $$ after the ban) I just picked up a PTR-91K (16" barrel) and , dare I say it, like it better than my old HK's.

Even if I only "think" its better - it's a great toy.

Oh yeah, my AR-15 Colt is fun too!

BTW, did you use a scope? Is so, how you grouping without?

There's no way I could do that with irons.  I have a Sightron II 4-16X42 mil dot scope.  It's pretty good glass for the money.  Here's a pic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Great group! Fine looking weapon. I have a PTR91 also. I am very pleased with mine also. By the way, how does that mount fasten to the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
can you still use the iron sights with the scope installed?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Sig 220 - Who's sells the B&T scope mount base? I've been looking for the same thing for my PTR91. Very nice setup.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sig 220 - Who's sells the B&T scope mount base? I've been looking for the same thing for my PTR91. Very nice setup.

DSA sells the Brugger & Thomet mounts.  They are very nice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
can you still use the iron sights with the scope installed?

You can definitly use the irons with the Brugger & Thomet mount but I doubt you could use them with the scope on the mount.  I have mine in a Larue SPR mount so I can take it off and use the irons whenever I want.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]
mlm - Thanks for the heads up on where to purchase the B&T mount. I just placed my order with DSA today. Most things that are Swiss made are top notch items. Looking forward to this mount- I've got a nice 30mm 3-12x scope waiting for PTR-91.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
mlm - Thanks for the heads up on where to purchase the B&T mount. I just placed my order with DSA today. Most things that are Swiss made are top notch items. Looking forward to this mount- I've got a nice 30mm 3-12x scope waiting for PTR-91.

No problem.  Get your self a set of arms 22 rings or Larue rings (IMHO Larue is much better) and you can use the irons whenever you want and still have the scope retain zero.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#17]
mlm -  Any knowledge on the 30mm DSA see-thru high rings/quick release that DSA sells? For $70.00 seems like a fair price. My B&T mount came in today from DSAhat
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
mlm -  Any knowledge on the 30mm DSA see-thru high rings/quick release that DSA sells? For $70.00 seems like a fair price. My B&T mount came in today from DSA. What an excellent piece of hardware that mounted prefect. I've got a 30mm 3-12x scope to mount on my PTR91 but the current rings I have are too low. Another delay for shooting without optics.

I have never seen or used those mounts made by DSA.  I use the Larue SPR mount on mine.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Where did you get the stock and how much?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Top Notch.  I preordered it in December for $155 I think.  The preorders were cheaper.  I think they are $190.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There's no way I could do that with irons.  I have a Sightron II 4-16X42 mil dot scope.  It's pretty good glass for the money.  Here's a pic. i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_0108.jpg

Man, that Sightron scope must have the shortest eye-relief known to man.  Either that or you REALLY sit way far back on the stock.

I was mocking up my PTR91 & Bushnell 3200 10x Mildot scope last night to see what height rings I will need with the B&T scope mount (I got the extra long mount BTW) and found that I need to have the rear lens right about above the rear iron sight drum.

Dang, neither the medium or tall Warne lever rings will clear my rear sight drum with a flip-up scope covers installed.  So, I can either remove the rear sight drum and go glass-only, or get some extra high Warne rings.

Decisions, decisions.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for the double-tap.  Stupid doody-head dialup service is hiccupping this morning.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I would like the scope further forward but then the charging handle hits it.  I'd have to get higher rings for it to be any further forward.  It pretty much sucked before I got the clone msg90 stock.  With it extended all the way out like it is it's not so bad.  You have to realize that it's alot longer than a standard HK91 stock.  I guess I could just live without being able to lock the handle back.  I never even considered that before.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would like the scope further forward but then the charging handle hits it.  I'd have to get higher rings for it to be any further forward.  It pretty much sucked before I got the clone msg90 stock.  With it extended all the way out like it is it's not so bad.  You have to realize that it's alot longer than a standard HK91 stock.  I guess I could just live without being able to lock the handle back.  I never even considered that before.

Correct, I posted this question before about the scope length interfering with charging handle in the lock position- For me, I'll go with one of compact scopes to solve this problem. I have a problem with not having the breech locked open when transporting to and from the range or handling a weapon- This is why I'll opt for a compact scope- It is also true that the G3 style was designed for a compact scope in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Yea I know, but it's the scope I had on hand.  It has served me well so far especcially with my new stock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#26]
You try running some 155gr sierra palma bullets down that thing yet?  1:12 twist w/ the short 18" barrel pretty much limits you to 165gr or less.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I would like the scope further forward but then the charging handle hits it.  

Dang, I completely forgot to check that.  Hmmm, one more thing to check.  

<goes and gets gun from safe and scope to re-check things>

Well, with a slight readjustment of the rings and setting the scope back about 1.5", the front bell will now clear the "locked-back" charging handle by about 1/4".  But my Bushnell 10x is fairly compact at just 11.75" so that does help.  I will however still need to decide between getting the next taller rings or getting rid of the rear sight drum and going glass-only.

Decisions, decisions.
Eric
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I have some Black Hills Match Grade BT HP's.  I don't remember the weight or anything else.  I'm at school otherwise I'd check right now.  I mean to take them with me everytime I go to the range but then I forget every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top