Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:07:30 AM EDT
What are your opinions on this model?  I know they are not being imported anymore, but are they worth the current asking prices?  Also, can the barrel have a flash suppresor attached or does the fact that it's (was) an imported sporting rifle preclude that additional feature?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are good rifles, they don't get anywhere near as dirty as the AR15, my only complaint is that they are not chromelined like all H&K's. When they were drying up when the import ban took place they were going for around 1k NIB.  You can add muzzle attachments and what ever else you want, you just have to be aware of the U.S. parts count.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The SL8-1 rifles are excellent weapons. They have superb shooting qualities and they look awesome when configured as a DMR/sniper type weapon. It is possible to mount a FH on an SL8, but would require some smithing. The SL8-1s have had some receiver cracking issues but are still excellent and accurate weapons. The going rate seems to be near 1000.00 and under for a decent weapon. There are options for mounting a FH but these require some smithing. My .02 is if you buy an SL8 keep it as an SL8, not some type of cobble-clone. Some of these clones, save the 5k copies built by experts using only the best parts, are garbage and are more for looking cool than shooting. These aren't "cheap" weapons and hacking the receiver up improperly to accomidate a USGI or G36 magazine will leave you with a hunk of grey AWB trash. You will never have a G36 as a civilian, no matter how much you manipulate your SL8...it will always be a clone and as a clone, its shooting performance will likely be inferior compared to the stock weapon.
For the $$$ I would rather have a Vector 93, but the SL8 is a really neat weapon when used as a DMR or sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the insight Ryno.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one and love it.
It's pleasant to shoot. A breeze to clean as mentioned above.
With the optic rail on it all you need are rings to mount a scope.
Tear down is about as simple as it gets.
I had shot with it all one afternoon and was amazed at how relatively clean the chamber and bolt carrier assembly were.
Most of the cleaning was a simple wipe down and lubrication.
Only dislike I have for the rifle is the 10 round mags. But I can live with that as I'm not to keen on making a bunch of mod's just to get a higher capacity.
And it's fun to take it to the range as it is a strikingly different looking weapon and I usually get several questions as to what it is and who made it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Guz Member - If you really want to have fun with an SL8-1, convert it to what it was intended to be .......HK G36!!!!!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1078.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1097.jpg
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]
How does the stock lock up when you unpin the folder?

Does it lock well in both the extended and folded position?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
uh wow...

Sorry but a stock SL8 is just not sexy. Devalued rifle be damned your g36 clone is HOT.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Guz Member - If you really want to have fun with an SL8-1, convert it to what it was intended to be .......HK G36!!!!!!img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1078.jpgimg.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1097.jpg

damnit man!! Quit posting pics of that thing!!!  
No  wait,...... MORE PICS!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats the best looking G36 clone I have seen. If you don't mind me asking, could you give the approximate cost of building such a gun, or at least a range? I have seen far more people do it rather than doing it right. You definatly did right. Do you have any more pictures, especially of where the mag well was altered? Thats an amazing weapon, and I would love to see some more pics if you have them! sweet gun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the kind comments, guys.  It, the SL8-1 that is, is an SBR rifle with an HK G36K barrel in it.  The barrel is 12.5 inches in length.  It has an HK G36 magazine well.  The milling on the magazine well was done by a proffesional not me.  He also did the jet black dye job.  The forearm is another HK G36K part, as well as the flash hider.  The folding stock is an HK "C" stock.  I have G36 magazines for the piece.  Not a cheap project to say the least.  Total cost - $4,000.00.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1024.jpg
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
My next project is a G36K.  I've got the Handguard, the TN kit and a rail but Im missing the SL8.  I had to put the project on hold and buy a few AK kits after I heard about the barrel ban BS.

But, I'll get the project back on track sooner or later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
whats your LOP?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Who did your stock conversion?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you mean a Top Notch conversion?  It looks like a TN kit to me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The stock on those SL8's was converted from a Top Notch folding stock to a non-folding stock - someone chopped the hinge out, and melted it all back together or something.

Looks great, was just curious who did it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#19]
You are correct about clones.......Ryno_the_wyno.  They are ALL clones - G36(SL8-1), UMP(USC), Bobcat, Vector, and 99.9% of all MP5s(HK 94s).  I've probably missed some, however the ones listed have a HUGE following.   The fact is HK does not want ANY of their military firearms(read semi) in civilian hands.  This has been their position for some time now.  If you ever want to have something close to what is the "real deal", a "clone" is the next best thing.   As far as the clones being inferior in performance, actually quite the opposite is true concerning the SL8/G36 "clone."  The TN bolt has the sixth lug on it, just like the actual G36!  No cracking problems on my "clone" only on the SL8-1.  Go figure.  If the milling of the magazine well is done by a proffessional on a machine as opposed to dremelling it out,  there should be no feeding problems with ACTUAL G36 magazines.  The SL8-1 uses a little single-stacked 10 rounder.  Ho hum.  Now I cannot speak truthfully about the other "clones" listed.  I'm sure some other board members might.  They probably have some experience.  All I know is that my "clone" is an awesome CQB weapon that is more reliable than most SL8's out there (and no cracks!).  I personally don't care for shoulder-fired weapons that shoot a pistol cartridge.  Well, alright the MP5 ( oh, excuse me MP5 "clone")is in a class all by itself.   Bottom line, this is all that's available to us.  And yes, it is sad.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1099.jpg
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top