Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:24 AM EDT
I have an MP5SD and 53 that are looking worse for wear.

If so, how much does it cost?

If not, can you recommend any alternatives?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just repainted my MP5 using Brownell's Aluma Hyde II in  matte black. Came out real nice and I've done other guns with it and its held up well. Its pretty close to the original, just a little less shiny.  My guns original finish got pretty beat up over time and I reparked it myself a number of years back in my buddys garage. I just never got around to putting the paint back on it till now.  Heres a couple of pics:

Full stock, letters arent painted yet.

Collapsible stock with letters painted(the stock is original HK paint):
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks nice from the pic. Did you have to "Bake it on" in your oven or do they have a better process now?

I'm looking for options myself since I'm going to be having two or three pieces soon to refinish and I'd like to attempt at least one myself. I mean, what's the WORST that I can do, have to re-strip it and pay someone? If I do pull it off, everyone's ahead of the game and I had fun learning something new.

Let me now if you've got any hints or suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I just tried Duracoat black on the furniture and various metal parts of my FN FAL.

The only problem I experienced was getting the right constituency for my airbrush. I found this tricky.

It was possible to obtain a flat or satin finish by varying the quantity of "reducer".

No baking was necessary. I let it cure for a week.

The only thing that puts me off doing am entire gun is having to strip and degrease the whole thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top