Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 6:43:33 PM EDT
Hello, I know nothing about HK's, and have a few questions for you guys.  

Are these two guns restricted to law enforcement only?  If not what is envolved in getting one...forms, ect. ?

Is the folding stock on the pdw the only diff. in the 2, and can the folder be ditched for any kind of a telescoping stock??

Approximately how much $$$$ would a weapon like these cost?

Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about them, but I think I NEED oneThanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The weapons you speak of are members of the HK MP5 family, and all of them are considered machine guns. Thus, you either legally qualify for a Class III license, and spend between $12 & 16 thousand dollars on such a weapon(Example - Link)........or you move on to....

An HK 94, which is as close to an MP5 as you can get in a semi-automatic weapon. $3 - 4 thousands for a nice pre-1994 one. The sunsetting of the AWB has no impact on any of these weapons because they aren't made in the states.....so they still command a premium among collectors.

There are some domestic knock-offs of these guns. First one NOT to waste money on is anything made by a company called "Special Weapons". The owner, Todd, is well known to be a 1st class cocksucker and his product is often suspect as far as quality goes.

My suggestion, in most peoples financial ballpark is an HK clone from Ohio Rapid Fire.

Ohio Rapiod Fire HK Collection.........(Link)

Not a real HK, but reports seem to indicate that these are well made, and will satisfy most peoples needs. Also, the barrel length of the weapons you originally mentioned are considerably shorter than the 16" rule, thus making them, if available/affordable in the first place, as an SBR, short barreled rifle. The same legal catagory as a machine gun.....even in semi-auto.

I have no idea what the lagalities in IN are for Class III weapons or SBR's, but even if legal, you'll jump through some serious hoops and pay a $200 tax stamp just to qualify to own one. Anything full-auto/select fire or having a barrel shorter than 16" will put you in this legal window.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
its not all that hard to get an SBR from what I have been told. and if you got an HK 94 as an SBR you could have an MP5K in semi auto built from it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
its not all that hard to get an SBR from what I have been told. and if you got an HK 94 as an SBR you could have an MP5K in semi auto built from it.

Like I said, Indiana laws are unknown to me, but it's not all that easy in FL, at least where I live, and as you know FL is a Class III state.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That would be a MP5 (HK94, SBR'ed and bbl replaced with a 9" bbl).

Get a SP89 and SBR it - then you would have a MP5K (or MP5KN if you put a 3-lug 5.5" bbl on it).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The IN laws are fine for C3. The only requirments are to meet the Fed requirments and be able to legally own a weapon in the state.

I want to chime in in the clone issue, also. I have a SW gun that has required a lot of work and parts to make it reliable so I cannot argue with the comments on those. You may try Bobcat though. I've seen some good reports about these and even though they may have a SW connection it seems that the quality is up where it belongs.

Though they are nearly impossible to get at the moment due to lack of receivers, an ORF or IGF clone cannot be beat with anything other than the original HK product.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What about a clone made by Bobcat Weapons?   Atlanticfirearms.com  has them on their website for $1599 (BW89PDW,9mm) Is this thing any good, or is it crap. It has a 16" barrel.

They also make a pistol version for $1469.  But, I like the vertical foregrip on the rifle version.

This is about all I can afford at this time, and I realize these are no HK's, but are they OK or not??

Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone???
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about a clone made by Bobcat Weapons?   Atlanticfirearms.com  has them on their website for $1599 (BW89PDW,9mm) Is this thing any good, or is it crap. It has a 16" barrel.

They also make a pistol version for $1469.  But, I like the vertical foregrip on the rifle version.

This is about all I can afford at this time, and I realize these are no HK's, but are they OK or not??

Thanks for any info

Run, don't walk, away from that crap. Bobcat is just the new name for Special Weapons, Todd Bailey's junk that someone else warned you about before.

If you don't want/can't afford an original, ORF is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You also have to install an “80 degree locking piece “if you add a stock to an mp5k as you change the recoil timing in order to function reliably in full auto.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Top Notch parts, Special Weapons, Bobcat, are all the same person, Toad Bailey....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top