Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 12:12:57 AM EDT
Ok, so its a shell deflector right? but then how come its rare to see it on any guns..?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Skammy I was wondering that too?  A PSG1 I saw recently (high dollar weapon) had one, but I have not see them on anything eles.  I use a trimmed piece of electrical tape and replace it when it gets tore up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never needed one.. my HK91 ejects 45 degrees to the right. Very, very authoritatively, I might add
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I know that when I put one on my 91,several years back, that it scratched the shit out of the finish.
It seemed to me that the cure was as bad as the problem.(cases dinging up the finish near the port)
Just my experience.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had the port buffer on my '91 since I first bought it back in '85  it works perfectly.. I reload for my 91 and have yet to have a dinged up case... Well over 13K rounds through it so far.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
www.pof-usa.com/hk91parts/hk91portbuf.htm
$40

As for the damage to the receivers, it one of the reasons that I have my clones only parkerized, and not painted.  When it needs to be touched up, black/cold blueing works great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I installed on one my buddy's Greek-made HK91-clone a Springfield Armory SAR8. Works like a champ. You can remove the rubber buffer without scratching the finish by gently prying it loose; I know, I know, I know, it will scratch finish, but be VERY CAREFUL, it can be done, because I've done it.

You can reload the dinged up cases, it just looks bad, but fires like a champ with the familiar longitudal lines caused by the fluted chamber.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to get one for my PTR-91...it throws brass about 20 feet with some heat...enough that the cases was hiting my car, I didn't know it until I went over to the car, and was taking chunks outa the paint...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Dog1: Yep, that is part of the experience of shooting an HK91/93-type gun, it throws the fired cased about 20-30 feet to the right with some alacrity. BUT, I don't think the rubber buffer will prevent the paint on your car from being dinged, it will just prevent the crease that looks nasty, and don't confuse the longitutinal lines from the fluted chamber with the crease. Maybe you can put a large piece of cardboard between your car and rifle, that will definitely prevent dinged paint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dog1: Yep, that is part of the experience of shooting an HK91/93-type gun, it throws the fired cased about 20-30 feet to the right with some alacrity. BUT, I don't think the rubber buffer will prevent the paint on your car from being dinged, it will just prevent the crease that looks nasty, and don't confuse the longitutinal lines from the fluted chamber with the crease. Maybe you can put a large piece of cardboard between your car and rifle, that will definitely prevent dinged paint.

Oh I know about HK type guns...I had several before I sold them to make a profit on them...

The one 91 I had with a port buffer tended to reduce the distance a casing was thrown and drop the angle more toward the ground...

It's private property where I shoot...I park where I always park....it was just that the day I went I took the PTR with me for it's maiden shoot....I now know that next time I will park a little father out...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's private property where I shoot...I park where I always park....it was just that the day I went I took the PTR with me for it's maiden shoot....I now know that next time I will park a little father out...

Hmm... I didn't know that the port buffer decreases the distance that the ejected case is thrown. Well park your car to the left of where you're shooting at and that would solve the paint dinging problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I don't know if that is the intended action...but the one I had did reduce the distance it was thrown and changed the angle of deflection...not a lot, but some...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top