Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 8:50:43 AM EDT
I am the happy owner of a Sar8.  It was a chance buy but it turne out very well. The rifle is in excellent condition and the action works like a swiss watch.  The only mods I have done so far is the 922r parts compliance to get rid of the thumbhole stock.  I was going to keep it in its original format but I have recently decided to do a halfway psg1 clone.

Basically I just would like to add a bipod and a 10x mil dot scope. I'd rather keep the original fcg, stock and barrel.  If I can add the scope mount and not obstruct the iron sights it would be ideal but not necessary.

It looks like the B Squared claw mount will do this but I dont like the looks of it. Something about it turns me off.  It doesnt look as well designed as the other claw mounts I've seen.

What would be the ideal claw mount to use for this app?  Also what kind of moa can I expect to shoot without having a smith tinker with it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Tapco makes a claw mount that is much better than a Bsquare.  Most people will tell you to stay away from a bsquare since you can damage the reciever if you're not careful.  Personally I think it looks wierd.  I have the tapco claw mount and its worth what you pay.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
excellent.  I'm glad I asked here first.  Is there something nicer than tapco or are they about all you need?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything nicer will cost you.  You can get an original HK stanag mount for $230 and the ones with integrated rings are more.  Its up to you how much you want to spend.  The tapco ones are cast steel and I think the HK ones are machined.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I dont want to go cheap on this.  Is the actual HK mount that much nicer?  Can I use other scopes with the hk mount with the rings or is it an off size?

I was thinking of using a 10x mildot for this.  Perhaps not a mildot but something with a measurement style reticle as opposed to a standard plex.

What do you all recommend?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tried a couple and I think the Brugger & Thomet is the most stable. It sits low and works great.  Her is a pic of it with a Bushnell Elite 10x42 Mildot

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.  What stock is that?  Whats one of those puppies run?  What kind of moa are you shooting?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
sydney7629

where did you get the modifications from?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Butt pad and cheek rest are E&L.
www.elmfg.com/index.html

Scope mount
www.armstar.com/BT_prod_LPA.htm

Fair warning on the check rest, you want to add a fastner at the middle/front/top to keep it from breaking off.  If nothing else, get some two sided tape and tape it down.  I have seen a few of the cheek pads crack off at the butt pad, due to rought handling.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I had an SAR-8, sold it when I got broke. Now I have a Colt HBAR II, and I feel I'm better off. But that's a personal thing. I used a clone of the H&K claw mounts, made I think by ARMS. I took the scope on and off periodically and it always returned to zero.
In answer to your other question, I got 1 moa with Federal premium bullets. Do not have a amateur "polish" the trigger. It can REALLY screw you up!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
maximumbob_tx: ditto on "polishing the trigger," send it to a professional like Williams Trigger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Tapco claw mount and a surplus H&K Stanag mount. The Tapco mount is steel and was made in Japan. The H&K mount is better quality, but both do the same job. I had to slightly grind the contact pads on the the Tapco mount because they were pinching the receiver and causing short stroking. The H&K mount came with the 4x scope, so I didn't mind paying the $350 it cost. I would not have paid a primeum for the mount alone. I've used the Tapco mount with weaver rings and it's rock solid and holds a zero. You will need a cheak pad because the scops sits up very high.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have tried a couple and I think the Brugger & Thomet is the most stable. It sits low and works great.  Her is a pic of it with a Bushnell Elite 10x42 Mildot

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1049090/1964788/34335855.jpg

Does anybody make a rubber bellows eyecup for the scope? Love the gun, have one just like it.

CW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top