Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2022 3:53:44 PM EDT
Just bought a DSA Jungle Warrior Para, I am a newb to FALs this is my first.
How to do you adjust the gas?
I tried it but I'm doing something wrong, it will fire a few times great then will fail to extract.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang on let look at my DSA, its been a minute
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok look at this pic, yours should be similar.

The gas dial covers and uncovers the hole nearer to front site. as you turn the dial, the hole becomes more uncovered, ie bigger, or less uncovered, ie smaller.

The numbers are used for reference so you can remember your setting.

The more the hole is open, the less gas is going to the action, and the weaker the cycling, the more the hole closes up, the more gas is going to the action and not escaping, so more forceful cycling (and felt recoil).

So if your extraction is weak, try turning the dial so the gas port hole gets smaller.

You want a balance between good cycling and reasonable recoil.

Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
The gas adjusting dial can be a little stiff when new. Mine is starting to get easier to turn after 3 range trips with adjusting.

I like my port as you see it, on 5.

Here is a video of me turning the dial to adjust the port size. It was awkward because I was holding the phone camera with one hand and gripping the rifle with my knees, and also I have added aftermarket wood hanguards that cover the sides of the dial a bit more making it harder to grip. But you get the idea. It does click when you turn it.

Adjusting gas on a DSA SA-58
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PaladinM1911] [#4]
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.
Will take your advice, unfortunately the adjustment knob does not have numbers on it but I can figure it out. Thanks for the pic and video that helped.
Out at the range on Monday, let's see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a specific gas regulator adjustment tool... or the bottle opener on a Swiss Army knife also works if the regulator is stiff or hot.

Since the regulator doesn't have numbers, screw it all the way in until it stops against the front sight base. That's setting "1". There are seven markings on a typical regulator, but dial it to whatever position ensures reliable function. Some folks give it another click, but I call it good when the rifle locks back on an empty magazine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow DSA is not marking numbers on the gas dial anymore?  That's news. It's not essential, but it helps me a lot. Though a lot of times I find just looking at the relative size of the gas port can be used.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checking, are you using the same ammo when you're setting the gas?

When you say it fails to extract, do you mean you have a "double feed" of a new round and the spent brass (i.e. the bolt catches the brass as it's feeding the new round)? Or that its not even pulling the brass out enough and you have to manually rack the charging handle to extract it?

I had a lot of troubleshooting on my first FAL. It ended up being severely over gassed. If you have the patience and want to start from "scratch", you would turn the gas dial all the way open (the gas dial would be furthest back toward you leaving the hole in the top completely visible). Load a single round and fire. If it doesn't lock back (it shouldn't), turn your gas system two clicks forward, and you should see the dial ever so slightly covering the end of the hole. Rinse and repeat until it locks back and then give it another click or two to account for all ammo types. The hole should be about half covered or so by the time you find that spot.

Different ammo may change this a bit, and a suppressor changes it dramatically, but if you're ejecting forcefully with the gas system mostly or completely open you may have an overgassed gun.

Please post back what you find out on Monday and we can go from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top