Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 5:09:49 AM EDT
I’ve got a couple of metric FALs, Austrian and Brazilian, that take the same (long type A?) gas plugs. Of course, the parts companies are always goading me to buy extras (“because your SOL if you lose your gas plug”).

So, over the years I’ve accumulated several well worn surplus gas plugs (forgetting that I already had a couple socked away):  among the ones that fit, some have levers, some do not, but they seem to be identical in size — except for Israeli gas plugs, which are useless because they don’t fit in the gas block (flanges too big).

The other day, I ordered a refinished gas plug from Apex, but it turned out to be 1/4” shorter than my others (type B?)

Is this Type B gas plug useable in a Type A gas block?

How many different varieties of gas plug are there for the FAL?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I know there are at least a Type A, B, and C.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, the only ones with levers are for the StG 58.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is tangently related but what are the metal grenade launcher types going for these days?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Last one I bought on the files recently was $80 shipped. I'm looking for a few more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last one I bought on the files recently was $80 shipped. I'm looking for a few more.
View Quote

That would be a steal these days. I just paid $120 for the common, medium height sight and ten bucks more for the much more rare tall sight.

Kicking myself in the ass for selling the ones I got from DSA for thirty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That would be a steal these days. I just paid $120 for the common, medium height sight and ten bucks more for the much more rare tall sight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $45 for one a couple of years ago.  I'm surprised to have gotten the offer when I put up my WTB ad, since the seller is a FAL Files regular who knew very well how much they go for (back then they were going for almost as much as today).

I generally see them advertised for $100-180.  Sometimes they do get sold for less, though.

The long and short ones, or any other oddballs (yards-marked, or calibrated for grenades other than the STRIM 65 or STRIM 32) carry a premium over those prices.  Damaged ones (which are not unusual) tend to go for somewhat less, at least in my observation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As far as I know, the only ones with levers are for the StG 58.
View Quote

The lever can be installed on any of them, I think.  Certainly any for a Type C gas system (which is the final type, which became the standard by the end of the 1950s).  The Austrian plugs will work in any rifle with a Type C gas system.  IIRC, DSA makes theirs with the lever as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I am looking for one for my DSA Para Congo. I do not like the aesthetics of the one that came with it. Not sure if I need A,B, or C though. DSA has been sold out like forever and I am looking for a source for a standard type. NOT Israeli marked, inch, or DSA QD type. What price point am I looking at?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top