Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:14:36 PM EDT
I have an ARMS #3 mount that I got used and ran on my DSA for a few hundred rounds.Last time out I noticed a little play in the mount. On closer inspection I found that the rivets are loose on the right side. I sent a message to ARMS to see if they have a recommended fix and haven't gotten a response. So I can either sell this thing (full disclosure of course) at a loss or try to fix it. Is there a fix that would work and is it worth the effort?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, LaRue makes a conversion unit. You send him some money and he converts scrap aluminum into good kit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Except LaRue doesn't make an equivalent to the ARMS #3. In other words, LaRue doesn't make an FAL scope rail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
How am I supposed to know what a #3 is?

I try not to have anything to do with Duck Goose.

How about DSA?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The DSA mount sounds good and I might end up going that route. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to fix the "Tier 1" mount I have  I'm quickly cluing into why people trashed their ARMS mounts for LaRue's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
ARMS is low rate shit. And the owner is an ass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think ARMS even makes the FAL mount any more. Pretty sure MSP is the source for those mounts.

That said, you should be able to tighten the rivets with a hammer, punch and backer. Yeah, it sucks but some of them do loosen up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just checking into the ARMS mount––brownell's sells it.  In stock right now.

So...I had an ARMS scope ring lever break, and LaRue was no longer doing the trade in program, so I called ARMS and sent in the broken mount, and they sent me a new one.  So, that's what I would do.

Nice thing about the ARMS mount is that it's half the weight of the DSA––but twice the price almost.  I had a DSA mount come loose and bind the bolt on a DSA FAL, so be sure to loctite it if you go that route.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine had roughly 1mm of play

Got rid of it years ago; replacing it with a DSA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
My ARMS has been rock solid so far.

Even if it does become worn out and a little loose later on I'll just
replace it with a new one.

Or, after looking at my mount just now.....

A good mechanic should be able to replace the rivets and tighten it up.
Those are flush mount rivets like the kind used on aircraft. A decent
aircraft mechanic could fix it for you pretty easy. I think I could even do it myself (maybe)....

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine bound up the bolt carrier on my DSA Para.  Got a DSA mount.  Much happier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
ARMS has a warranty on their stuff.
If you try and "fix" it, you will void it and be screwed.
I hate ARMS, but until laRue makes a FAL topcover, I prefer it to the ugly, inconvenient and insanely heavy DSA mount.

The Tapco mount was a lot lighter than the DSA, worked the same way and was a lot cheaper.
Downside: weaver rail instead of pic, ugly, cheap screws into cheap metal rails.

If you are hanging a heavy optic off your FAL, you should probably consider DSA or TAPCO.
If you have a red dot, the ARMS mount should serve you will.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Funny.  My DSA mount bound up my FAl, so now I'm trying out the ARMS mount instead!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.  My DSA mount bound up my FAl, so now I'm trying out the ARMS mount instead!

Neither systems seems to be perfect, but I'd give DSA a ring.  What brand of rifle was it?

Just be mindful the ARMS mount is held on through "spring tension" and is not hand tightened in any way.  Also, for a Para rifle, the ARMS recoil spring guide cannot be removed to clean/service the rifle.  The whole mount must be removed.  Not a great idea IMHO.  Installation also requires some hand fitting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine was on a DSA para, but the ARMS is going on a Century G1 build I just bought.  Got it from Brownell's, so I can easily return it if I don't like it an dget the DSA mount again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can attest to the DSA mount not being perfect either.  I stripped the original screws the first time I removed the mount to clean the rifle.  I had to replace the screws with machine screws from Lowe's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I am impressed with the ARMS mount after installing it.  Light and seems well made, and slipped right on––very EZ install.  Super tight.  It actually fit almost perfect––and much better than the FN surplus top cover that came on the rifle.  According to the literature that came with the mount, the mount is actually made by PRI.  Even though it says "ARMS" on the mount itself.  We'll see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#17]
You fix ARMS stuff by selling it for scrap...Sorry, but you don't have a Tier 1 mount.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top