Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2010 4:25:55 PM EDT
Well, after much anticipation and patience, I FINALLY made it to the range today.  I even double-checked the DSA website to ensure I broke-in the barrel properly.

At round 15, the ejector broke.

I really, really like this rifle, and hope that it can be repaired easily.  I'm glad I sent the warranty card to DSA.  This is the only time I recall doing this for a firearm.

- At closer inspection, it looks like it is a separate ejection block versus being integral to the receiver. I'm glad to see that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Man that sucks.

DSA should make this right.

Keep us posted.  Also is it a type I or type II receiver?

I take it your a Naval SUpply Officer?

Max
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Man that sucks.

DSA should make this right.

Keep us posted.  Also is it a type I or type II receiver?

I take it your a Naval SUpply Officer?

Max

To be honest, I'm not sure what type of receiver it is.  I'll try to post a picture.  I'm such a FAL newbie that I am still not certain if metric versus inch really makes a difference for mags, etc.

Other than the broken ejector, I'm so impressed with this rifle that I don't know what to say.  I cannot get myself to have any interest in ARs anymore.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
no worries man . merely a flesh wound . just needs a little tweek thats all .
keep us poted as to the solution .
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, after much anticipation and patience, I FINALLY made it to the range today.  I even double-checked the DSA website to ensure I broke-in the barrel properly.

I really, really like this rifle, and hope that it can be repaired easily.  I'm glad I sent the warranty card to DSA.  This is the only time I recall doing this for a firearm.

- At closer inspection, it looks like it is a separate ejection block versus being integral to the receiver. I'm glad to see that.

The upper ejector block pin holds the ejector in place. It just drifts out "left to right".

I move it just enough to remove/replace the ejector (unless I am also replacing the pin).

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The upper ejector block pin holds the ejector in place. It just drifts out "left to right".

I move it just enough to remove/replace the ejector (unless I am also replacing the pin).

Is that the pin right in front of the locking block?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not certain if I'm understanding you correctly, but the ejector on this rifle is integral with the block, and is not a separate piece from the ejector block.  Is this typical, or is the ejector usually a separate piece?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the pin right in front of the locking block?

Yes –––––––––––––––– there are 2 cross pins that hold the ejector block in place. The one that holds the ejector is just forward of the locking shoulder.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not certain if I'm understanding you correctly, but the ejector on this rifle is integral with the block, and is not a separate piece from the ejector block.  Is this typical, or is the ejector usually a separate piece?

Thanks for any info.

Metric receivers "usually" have removable ejectors –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– Commonwealth receivers "usually" have fixed (actually part of the ejector block) ejectors.

I haven't seen any new DSA receivers in at least 5 years so I don't know what they're doing now. But it's easy enough to determine if the ejector is removable.

If you do have a DSA and the ejector is part of the block (one piece) –––––––––––– you will have to return the gun to DSA ––––––––- ejector blocks need to be "fit" to the gun.

If it will help –––––––––––– I will take and post pic's of receivers and the different ejector blocks (later on today and/or tonight)...

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you do have a DSA and the ejector is part of the block (one piece) –––––––––––– you will have to return the gun to DSA ––––––––- ejector blocks need to be "fit" to the gun.

Rats!  I hoping to avoid having to ship it to them.  I barely had time to go to the range, much less deal with the shipping, etc.

Well, this may seem strange but I still am fascinated with the rifle.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, so far so good with the DS Arms service.

"Send it in and we'll fix it".
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, so far so good with the DS Arms service.

"Send it in and we'll fix it".

You can send and receive it direct. No need for an FFL transfer. (unless required by your state)

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Removable and fixed ejectors...

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
My new DSA STG58 Para has a fixed ejector.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]
That is BS.  They should not have gone to the fixed ejector.  I just bought a DSA 18" STG58.  I hope it does not have the fixed ejector.  I am new to FAL type rifles.  What advantage would it be to have a fixed ejector aside from ease of manufacture?  Would hate to have it go down and have to send it back for something stupid like this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is BS.  They should not have gone to the fixed ejector.  I just bought a DSA 18" STG58.  I hope it does not have the fixed ejector.  I am new to FAL type rifles.  What advantage would it be to have a fixed ejector aside from ease of manufacture?  Would hate to have it go down and have to send it back for something stupid like this.

Sounds just like me. New to FALs, 18" STG58, etc. I shipped it today and just the cost of shipping makes this frustrating.

FYI - I did send them a follow-up e-mail asking them if it was possible not to get an ejector that was integral to the ejector block.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I would think that DSA would pick up the cost of the shipping. I returned some magazines and they picked up the cost to ship them back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
They really should pay your shipping, I would press them for this. A new gun should not break down that quickly. I'm sure they'll make it right, stuff happens and they're an excellent company with a great product. But...your FAL is too new to break down, they should be kissing your butt right about now to make you happy. Get your $ back for that shipping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I called on April 16th to ensure they received my rifle and to get an estimated return date. They asked for my name and phone number, but I have yet to get a return call.  I sent another e-mail tonight.  I really would like to get it back ASAP.

They did say that they would put in an ejector that was separate from the ejector block.

I'd like for them to take their time and do it right, but also just want to know what's going on.

Well, my enthusiasm for the rifle has been dampened a little bit. I know stuff happens and that anything with parts can break, but I'm still just surprised that I only got 15 rounds down range before it broke.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
So can someone post a picture of a fixed ejector vs a removable ejector?

I'm new to FALs and I'm wonderin if I should start a list of "likely to break parts" so I can have a stockpile on hand.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So can someone post a picture of a fixed ejector vs a removable ejector?

I'm new to FALs and I'm wonderin if I should start a list of "likely to break parts" so I can have a stockpile on hand.

See seven posts above.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#21]
In my experience, DSA doesn't do too well with e-mail, but will always (eventually) answer the phone.  They should hook you up with the return shipping, and you can send it direct, so you don't have to go through Franklin's....  (I did a couple of transfers and bought my M1A SuperMatch there - back in 89' when I was teaching at NSCS).

Hope you get it fixed and up and running soon.

By the way, metric and inch mags are different.  Inch kinda works in metric, but not vice versa.  Metric are fairly available for $15-20 apiece.

Lot's more FAL lore and info hereFAL Files Forum

Regards.  Have a pitcher and a slider for me at Allen's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Too late now, but I have a drawer full of ejector blocks in the shed.

Some minor filing and press work, could have patched you up.

Hope they make it right for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Inch kinda works in metric, but not vice versa.  Metric are fairly available for $15-20 apiece.

Other way around.  The tab on an inch mag is much wider than a metric, and will not insert in a metric-cut receiver.
Worth a thousand words (inch).

I miss the good old days when FAL mags were everywhere for $4-5 used and under $10 new.  Was that really just 5 years ago?
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any info.

Metric receivers "usually" have removable ejectors –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– Commonwealth receivers "usually" have fixed (actually part of the ejector block) ejectors.

I haven't seen any new DSA receivers in at least 5 years so I don't know what they're doing now. But it's easy enough to determine if the ejector is removable.

If it will help –––––––––––– I will take and post pic's of receivers and the different ejector blocks (later on today and/or tonight)...

The ejectors on the DSA are removable and since the receiver has a lifetime warranty, they should replace it no problem. The rest of the used parst are another matter.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The ejectors on the DSA are removable and since the receiver has a lifetime warranty, they should replace it no problem. The rest of the used parst are another matter.

I called them Thursday and they said they would replace it with no problem, but that they were backlogged and to call back in a week or two.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any info.

OK, I stand corrected. I just looked at my three year old SA58 and it has a removable ejector. My new year old SA58 stripped receiver has a fixed ejector.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I would not have sent this back to them to fix.  I would have replaced all the parts required to fix this and to convert it to a removable ejector.  Eventually you will get your rifle back but I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting it back quick.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would not have sent this back to them to fix.  I would have replaced all the parts required to fix this and to convert it to a removable ejector.  Eventually you will get your rifle back but I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting it back quick.

I'm new enough to FAL rifles that I didn't want to chance screwing up my new purchase. If it was simply replacing parts - no problem. But my understanding is that the ejector block has to be fitted to the receiver. Also, they are replacing the fixed ejector with a removable ejector.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Removable and fixed ejectors...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/Posted%20On%20Line/DSCF1949.jpg

So what again are the pro's and con's of the fixed vs. removable ejector/

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/2/2010 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, my understanding is that the fixed ejector:

1.) Requires the entire ejector block to be replaced (and therefore fitting to the receiver).
2.) Costs more than just the removable ejector.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Suppo,
 Did you ever get your repaired rifle back?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Suppo,
 Did you ever get your repaired rifle back?

Yeah, it came back in mid-May, but I was out of town. It came with a two-piece ejector, so that's good.

If you want to go, I'll let you know when I take it to the range to check it out.

I'm still a FAL-fan, but just have to understand the wait involved with DSA. Heck, by some of the threads, I think I got faster than normal service, so I'll make the best of it and try to enjoy the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top