Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 12:12:15 PM EDT

My friend is looking to sell a FAL to me...its marked CAI-Sporter, has a US made black FAL stock (not the thumbhole that I imagine came with it during the ban.)  He put a bunch of US made parts on it about a year ago.  It has a black finish (unknown type) over another black finish (probably paint.)  The selector is marked R and S.  

Its a great shooter (rested groups of about a 1" at 100 Meters), reliable and fun.  He needs the money for a DSA he wants to buy.

Should I get it and what should I be prepared to pay?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The selector is marked R and S.  

By this, I'm guessing that it is a metric kit (should be S-R-A). What kind of receiver?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Screech,

Price is going to be fairly subjective.  Sounds like a typical century arms int'l Franken-FAL. A Pic of the rifle with some close ups of the receiver markings would help a lot. Some earlier century's have IMBEL type III forged receivers and are the best of their breed. Supposedly some of the newer century receivers are better but, as a whole they have a rep for being out of spec.  FYI century rifles can be an odd mix of Commonwealth(Inch) or Euro(metric) parts. Metric tends to be a bit cheaper to get replacement parts. Some folks prefer Inch pattern controls(ext safeties, ext mag releases, folding cocking handles) but, those can usually be retrofitted.

If this rifle runs well and you can get if for a price that makes you happy I'd say ignorance is bliss.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is accurate and reliable, I'd say anything under $500 dollars
is a good price.

I paid $550 for my Century inch receiver FAL three years ago.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a Century that I am proud to own built up on an IMBEL receiver.  I just can't believe the guy I picked it up from put that horrible Bushnell Scope AND lost the original dust cover.  I am told that this was one of the few G1 kits built up by Century.  Was I lied to?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
sweet rifle, stock up on ammo. the original black rifle is one hungry fiend. my m4gery is getting jeolus of my fac arm fal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies so far...I'll try to post pics later.

The selector/safety is flatter than the one in the photo above.  It is also bent at about a 40 degree angle.  The charging handle is a fold forward model, not the knob shown.  In addition the pistol grip is flat on the forward side, and not rounded like the saw type grip shown below.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My friend is looking to sell a FAL to me...its marked CAI-Sporter, has a US made black FAL stock (not the thumbhole that I imagine came with it during the ban.)  He put a bunch of US made parts on it about a year ago.  It has a black finish (unknown type) over another black finish (probably paint.)  The selector is marked R and S.  

Its a great shooter (rested groups of about a 1" at 100 Meters), reliable and fun.  He needs the money for a DSA he wants to buy.

Should I get it and what should I be prepared to pay?

Funny, I have one too, and am thinking of selling it to buy a DSA.  I would say go for it.  If it runs good as you say, it's probably hard to beat for the prices they go for.  Where else can you get a reliable, full power battle rifle for less than $500?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies so far...I'll try to post pics later.

The selector/safety is flatter than the one in the photo above.  It is also bent at about a 40 degree angle.  The charging handle is a fold forward model, not the knob shown.  In addition the pistol grip is flat on the forward side, and not rounded like the saw type grip shown below.

Sounds like a Commonwealth/Inch patter Century Sporter. A lot of these were built up on IMBEL receivers and were good guns.  Based on your statement above, your pal may have added the necessary 922 parts to take off what may have been originally a thumbhole stock and return to a closer to orign config.

~$500 would be a really good price IMHO if it is built on an IMBEL. If possible check out all the markings on the right side of the receiver to see what's there. Pics would allow us to be more definitive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top