Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 8:24:16 PM EDT
What did you guys use as a receiver wrench? I've heard of people using standard open end wrenches to making their own receiver wrench from oak. What did you use?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a barrel vice and proper receiver wrench, applying force to the barrel flats has the potential of damaging the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy a barrel vice and proper receiver wrench, applying force to the barrel flats has the potential of damaging the barrel.

No kidding? Like making it oval?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding? Like making it oval?

Don't ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't ask me how I know.

The jaws of the wrench began to open and round off the flats. I stopped before it did too much damage, cosmetic only.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What if I put the flats in a vice and twisted the receiver onto it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It could be done but the potential for damage is far greater than just using a barrel vice. Look around, you can find them used.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have built 8 F A Ls doing this very thing. HOWEVER, the vise must have SQUARE jaws and the jaws must be hardened.  The jaws found on a typical work bench vise will not work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Blue, if you're in the east SF bay area, I have a barrel vise and a receiver wrench you could use.

ETA does anyone here know of a source for FAL uppers? Must be willing to ship to a CA FFL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is a pattern for a receiver wrench on gunthings.com
That's where I made mine from. Really easy to do.

I've seen that....I need to draw it into the computer and cut a ton of them out on my CNC plasma cutter and sell them on the cheap....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is a pattern for a receiver wrench on gunthings.com
That's where I made mine from. Really easy to do.

I've seen that....I need to draw it into the computer and cut a ton of them out on my CNC plasma cutter and sell them on the cheap....

yes you do!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top