Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 12:48:22 PM EDT
I just came across possibly my first FAL, but before I consider picking it up, I had some questions. The FAL is built on an Imbel receiver. Is Imbel good, bad or middle of the road? also, I couldn't tell if it was metric or inch. How can I tell, and what are the differences? I would appreciate any answers. Oh, BTW, asking price is $740. Deal or not?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
imbel is the best. is it a CAI import? you can tell if its inch or metric receiver by looking at the front notch on the magwell. if its a rectanglular hole, its inch cut, if its a sidways "D" cut its metric cut. just because the receiver is metric doesnt mean the rest of the gun isnt inch. i had a franken fal that was inch parts on a metric receiver. in fact its the one i let you shoot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
so....should I consider picking it up for $740?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, By the way, he called it an FNFAL if that makes any difference
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#4]
FNFAL is the catchall term for the rifle, kind of the way we call them ARs
when in fact they are ARs, XM15E2s, LAR-15s ,  OA-15s, etc.

And Imbel is very good, but I would say DSA might be the best. That said I have an Imbel FAL and I love it.

740 aint a bad price right now depending on some factors.
What condition is it in?
Does the guy know what kind of parts are on the rifle?
Was is it a CAI import or a kit build on a stripped receiver ?
If a build , who built it ?
If CAI import, 740 is a bit high in my opinion.
If it is a STG58 parts kit on an Imbel receiver built by knowledgeble smith, I think you would be pretty happy.

Make sure is 922R compliant, you want US Hammer / Trigger / Sear, Gas Piston and furniture.

That gives you all the US compliant parts you need without messing with US mag floorplates and followers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
cmeyer001 has made some great points you will need to know before purchasing any FAL.... my $0.02.... be 100% sure what you are looking at before you buy.....haste makes waste.....  FAL parts kit gun for $740....no deal Howie
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A big reason you want to know if the reciever is metric or inch is for mags.
-The metric mags will work on an inch but will seem a little loose.  (Easier to find and cheaper.)
-Inch mags cannot be used on a metric reciever w/out modifying the mags. (HTF and more
expensive, but there are 30rd. mags avail.)
Top Top