Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
Ok..this is all new to me....One thing i know is I love these rifles

I received theses after a family member passed away in an accident. I hold them very close to heart. He was a gunsmith. All his firearms are in EXCELLENT condition..trigger work ect ect..

Every rifle..except the para sar-48
its a .308 caliber

The slide cover does not work with the receiver assembly
the slide and and bolt assembley all fit perfect in the lower and the bolt also fits inside the slide cover fine..

..it sticks off the end about 2mm....and it doesnt fit "into" the lower ..this does not allow me to snap the rifle back together
http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/842_1127352964_hangover.jpg

It seems to need trimmming on the slide cover as the "nipple" does not fit into the lower receivers front end above the breeech.
http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/842_1127357111_slidecvrandlower.jpg

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/842_1127353601_lowerstrght.jpg
http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/842_1127356809_slidewspring.jpg

One more question..I went to Sprigfields web site..could not find a manual to order for the para model...any ideas are greatly apreciated.

There are soem insanly bueatiful rifles posted in here; )

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I beleive he added the para lower. The upper reciever needs a slot cut for the para cover.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It should fit but if it is like mine, it is tight. Make sure you are fitting it into the cutout and not BELOW it. Make sure it is IN the rail and give it a good hard push or tap with a rubber mallet. Make sure the front lip does not have any burrs on it. And welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A-Fan....does that mean i need to dremel out the  upper receiver area where the gas tube area?..the one I have circled in red?....This is what my final thought was about the way it could work. Either dremel that a bit or cut the end of the cover...But the end of the cover holds the slide asemmbly in ?

Fxn time..i would have to hammer the hell out of it..i have atleast 2mm of slide to push in...and im really trying to stay away from hammering.....yet...lolol

Hey..wtf is wrong with my pics..are they only 2 inches tall to u guys?..cant see tham all?

thank u
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
That upper is missing the cut out around the piston for the para cover. You can do one of several things. Mod the upper receiver (best but most expensive choice), cut the nose off the cover (hard to find a replacemnt) or buy a south african pattern cover with out the nose (also a arms cover will cure that). Don't dremmel the upper. If you want to do it right get a counterbore and guide. If you have access to a drill press it is easy to do correctly or most smiths on the fal files will do it for about 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
lol..agaibn thanks chuck..after looking around more..found a guy who does exactly that

im stoked..

have a kikazz weekend

WOOO WOOO..im goin shooting!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The information you seek is on the FALFILES.  It is as easy as getting the correct diameter drill bit and counterboring the hole.   Do a search on para receiver modification.  Don't use a dremmel.  The wings can be trimmed off the cover.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
An upper cut for the para top cover should look like this...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought he had taken it off and it would not go back on..........WHOOPS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Did factory SAR48 para's have folding charging handles?

Yes, it looks to me like he was trying to add the para stuff to a fixed stock rifle, and a standard para top cover needs a para cut receiver to fit.  I would not attempt to WECSOG on the receiver of this rifle, or even send it to a 'smith.

What you need is to get a para top cover made for standard receivers - like DSA part#  P035US.  Or I think their para scope mount  would also work.  Might be available from other sources as well.

SAR48's are good rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn BIGB808. If you were close by, I could hook you up. I have the tools for making the para cuts. It takes longer to drag the tools out and set them up than it does to make the cuts.

It is tempting to just cut the nose off of that top cover. Please don't do that.  If you do, it is a pain in the butt to open the rifle up for cleaning. If the nose is gone, when you break the rifle open, it will launch the top cover into orbit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top