Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 3:06:46 PM EDT
Well, I saw it on Gunbroker and had to have it British L1A1 kit in supposed excellent condition. Picked it up for $425, which in today's L1A1 kit marketplace, I was just grateful to find a nice kit.

So....

Compliance parts?

I noticed DSA in now making L1A1 uppers. They claim to be patterned after Aussie receivers. Anyone know if a British barrel will time up on the DSA upper?

I figured the DSA receiver, stripper clip upper with an Ironwood furniture set will provide 5 compliace parts. What to do for the other two? With the disapperance of FSE, the FCG I guess is out. Unless of course the US Made DSA metric FCG can be altered to work in an inch lower.

DSA claims that their receiver is designed for Australian mags. Anyone know if the Aussie mags differ from other inch mags? Will any inch mags work?

This will be a tricky build but with all the metric FALs I have, I have always longed for an inch rifle. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated mates.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Inch mags are inch mags, they should all work - heck, even metric mags will work.  The stripper clip cover won't count as a compliance part. Try a US made folding charging handle from VOW or a US gas piston (available from gunthings.com.

Timing an inch barrel and receiver doesn't depend on the barrel shoulder timing like on metric FALs. Inch rifles use a breeching washer of the sufficient thickness to achieve proper timing. You can also get these at gunthings.com.

Good luck with the build - my first FAL build was an Australian kit on an Entreprise inch receiver, and it is still one of my favorite rifles.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure a stripper clip top cover wount count as a US part? I was fairly sure that a US made scope mount cover counted as a US part on a metric build. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
How does one determine which breaching washer they need?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Some info on determining breeching washer size...www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115531&highlight=breeching+AND+washer

List of evil FAL parts:
(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Muzzle attachment
(4) Bolt
(5) Bolt carrier
(6) Gas piston
(7) Trigger housings (lower receiver)
(8) Operating rod (charging handle)
(9) Trigger
(10) Hammer
(11) Sear
(12) Buttstock
(13) Pistol grip
(14) Handguards
(15) Magazine body
(16) Magazine Follower
(17) Magazine Floorplate
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Entreprise is listing inch uppers on their web site. Says they are shipping them now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Tyanks for the tips guys!!! Keep 'em coming. I am understanding the breech washer thing. I remember this from when L1A1 kits were plentiful. Does anyone know if metric locking shoulders work in an inch receiver?

Anyone know the difference between inch and metric trigger parts? Meaning, can I alter the DSA FCG to fit in an L1A1 lower?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice buy - Inch's are good rifles - - Least expensive way to get additional # of US parts is with magazine kits - however it is a somewhat risky proposition if you have non modified magazines. Look at the TAPCO and gunthings offerings for some other ideas on what's available in light of tappetmans posting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if he has any but this site has US triggers parts listed at the bottom of the page
estore.websitepros.com/832529/Search.bok?category=FN+FAL+Inch-L1A1+parts&searchpath=4045dec1105ee59064c36&start=46&total=73

again no idea if they have any but they list US inch stocks, grips, and handguards
www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zFALprod.html

Other place to look for US trigger parts is Century intrnational arms.
If you use metric mags US  follower and floorplate can be bought at Entreprise Arms, Century international, and floorplate at DSA. Tapco has a unversal gas piston I think made in the US. And Brownells list and inch plastic grip in their catalog.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
-the locking shoulders interchange.
-the top cover DOES NOT count
-you probably don't want to swap the furniture if it's nice (maranyl?)
-i think it's pretty involved making a metric HTS into inch
try gunpartsguy.com he was selling some reworked century inch FCG parts (2 of the 3)
+receiver (if you use metric you can use magazine parts for 2 more, don't see US made inch mag parts)
+piston
+folding CH
that'd be 7
i avoid using US mag components myself but it's tough making count on an original-looking inch clone right now. wish someone made a US inch FH

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, this helps. This will be challenging, but well worth it. Any feedback on the Ironwood L1A1 furniture? A few years back I hade some fitting issues with a metric set, but they were nice pieces.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody know how to ID which year the rifle/kit was manufactured and which arsenal it came from?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
You can usually tell by the serial number stamped on the lower. Please check out this thread over at Falfiles.com for information on deciphering the code.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome guys, thanks!! I plan on posting pics once it's built. Looks like it is feasible to do this build. I'm guessing when it's all said and done, I'm looking at around $1500. If this kit is nice, I will repark it. I am a Carpenter so fitting the Ironwood furniture will be no biggie. I will finish the wood with oil and perhaps top it all off with a trilux. I can't wait for this one!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not sure if he has any but this site has US triggers parts listed at the bottom of the page
estore.websitepros.com/832529/Search.bok?category=FN+FAL+Inch-L1A1+parts&searchpath=4045dec1105ee59064c36&start=46&total=73

again no idea if they have any but they list US inch stocks, grips, and handguards
www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zFALprod.html

Other place to look for US trigger parts is Century intrnational arms.
If you use metric mags US  follower and floorplate can be bought at Entreprise Arms, Century international, and floorplate at DSA. Tapco has a unversal gas piston I think made in the US. And Brownells list and inch plastic grip in their catalog.

Thanks. I wonder who made those HTS sets? I am not a big fan of Century and don't think I could disgrace this build with their parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top