Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 9:28:08 AM EDT

Since FAL handguards heat up so there must be a handguard with a heat shield.

Any ideas where to find one?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
imbel synthetics tame heat very well, israeli wood also. there are laminated wood australian HGs with a layer of shielding inside also.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I made my own once out of those disposable aluminum cookie sheets you buy in the grocery store.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I made my own once out of those disposable aluminum cookie sheets you buy in the grocery store.

That sounds beyond my abilities. I can't even bake cookies, although I can help mix.

I wonder if an AR10 type heatshield could be adapted? It must be about the same size. Maybe even one out of a G3, except the G3 wide handguards go for a premium now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds beyond my abilities. I can't even bake cookies, although I can help mix.

I wonder if an AR10 type heatshield could be adapted? It must be about the same size. Maybe even one out of a G3, except the G3 wide handguards go for a premium now.

All you need is a pair of tin snips. It's not that hard. Those sheets are super thin. You can make a couple of pairs out of one sheet. Cost you a couple of dollars to make your own.

ETA: You could even use  a pair of scissors to cut with. Won't anything else after wards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased the Penguin stock/PG/Handgurad set. The handgurads have no heatshields but they do a great job of venting the heat. Adapting AR10 shields would need a bit of cutting either with a dremel or tinsnips. Maybe even a bit of bending in a vise. Worth a try if you have an old set just layin around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]

I have a Penguin on one FAL. It still heats up. I guess I shoot too fast.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a large truck stop nearby or a semi trailer repair shop, go there and see if you can buy a few feet of hundred mile an hour tape. It has aluminum on one side and a very strong adhesive backing on the other. In between is a soft gum like substance. It molds easily to the insides of the hand guards and once the adhesive sticks, nearly impossible to remove. I have lined several of my F A L handguards with this material and the heat shielding is outstanding.

You can probably get several feet of it for a pack of marlboro reds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I lined the inside of my handguards with aluminum foil tape and it work very well.  It was easy to apply.  Aluminum foil tape has good thermal conductivity and is designed for HVAC.  It is similar to the tape that Maddogkiller described.  I purchased it from Home Depot.  

ETA:  If interested, I can post pics and more details.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I lined the inside of my handguards with aluminum foil tape and it work very well.  It was easy to apply.  Aluminum foil tape has good thermal conductivity and is designed for HVAC.  It is similar to the tape that Maddogkiller described.  I purchased it from Home Depot.  

ETA:  If interested, I can post pics and more details.

Please do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Can you post some pics?  I need to make one also.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you post some pics?  I need to make one also.

I don't have it anymore. But sounds like a good project to work on this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I seem to remember seeing the plans for home made heat shields.  I want to say WECSOG site, Darby Fals site.  Something like that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
i usually grip the mag like a forward pistol grip, bypassing teh overheating handguard problem all together.  problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Instructions here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Instructions here.

Thanks!

I really liked this idea too. Did anyone try it?
ADHESIVE-BACKED HEAT BARRIER

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top