Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2005 8:19:06 PM EDT
This is my rifle.............

It came with this flash hider........

I want to remove it and replace it with this.......

What's involved? How easy/difficult is it to do this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not very difficult, first findout from DSA if the FH is silver soldered on.  It should be Left Hand THread, find an old open ended wrench that will fit and you don't care to grind on, then grind it thin enough to fit the slot on the Belgian FH.  If it is Silver soldered on you will need to sweat it off, I use MAP gas for this.  If not you should be able to just take it off, you may also want to try a strap wrench,  I try this method first.  To install the short stoll well I think you can figure that out, just be care not to bend your barrel or the tines on the Stoll FH.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I did this a month ago. Its not silver soldered on but rather something else that is higher temp than a propane torch can loosen. I was told its a 500 deg thread locker but YMMV...

The best way to do it is to use a bolt that threads into the FH and then heat it up to dull cherry red and loosen it up/out.

I have a thread on here somewhere that lists out the thread pitch but I dont remember what it was right now....I took the styer to a true hardware store (not Home-depot or Lowes) and matched a 2" long or so bolt + nut and lock washer to make it work as a removal tool.

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I just e-mailed DSA last week about a similar issue with my STG-58A and they said they'd remove the brake, clean the threads and refinish the barrel for $120 (doesn't include the cost of the new muzzle device, which I will probably supply).

I don't know if the cost would be the same for your para, but you might want to check with them. If it is the same, $120 isn't a bad deal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
OUCH!  $120 seems pretty high.  You should try one of the FAL gunsmiths on FALfiles like Gunplumber, Sledgehammer, or CSW.  Less expensive, and you support the little guy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OUCH!  $120 seems pretty high.  You should try one of the FAL gunsmiths on FALfiles like Gunplumber, Sledgehammer, or CSW.  Less expensive, and you support the little guy.

True, Derek at AZ Expert Arms (He's a dealer here) removed my Brake, replaced it with a Belgian Combo (I like them) and reparked my whole rifle for about that same price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like this is a bit beyond my confidence level. Can't gamble with the new Para. A Hesse? Sure...I'd whack on that thing all day. Not the DSA Para.

Wonder if KKF would do this? He's in Florida....might even be able to run it up to him.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It is very simple to do. Take off the handguards. Put the barrel in a barrel vise or whatever you can improvise. Get a socket wrench. Stick the square socket wrench into the muzzle end of the Belgian combo device and twist clockwise. Mine was fairly tight but came off after a good twist. The FH on my no ban STG58A was not soldered on and even had a small timing washer in it.  After you get off the FH  put on the short Stoll and turn counter clockwise to install.   There might be some park worn off the barrel as the combo device covers more of the barrel than the short stoll will.  You can use cold blue to touch this up.

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is very simple to do. Take off the handguards. Put the barrel in a barrel vise or whatever you can improvise. Get a socket wrench. Stick the square socket wrench into the muzzle end of the Belgian combo device and twist clockwise. Mine was fairly tight but came off after a good twist. The FH on my no ban STG58A was not soldered on and even had a small timing washer in it.  After you get off the FH  put on the short Stoll and turn counter clockwise to install.   There might be some park worn off the barrel as the combo device covers more of the barrel than the short stoll will.  You can use cold blue to touch this up.

Wow....it's really that easy?

I just don't want to fuck up my rifle for something so simple....but if that's really all it takes...I might look in to it.

What do you mean the "square" socket wrench? Not sure I'm following that part & how to apply the pressure to turn the muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a  3/8" ratchet from my socket set. It fits inside the threads for the FH. I would not do this all the time as eventually you may damage the FH or the ratchet.  If you want to avoid damage you could use a big machine screw and screw it into the inner threads of the FH and remove.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's something you should check out:
www.chanuteks.com/usa/fal/imbmbre.htm

Member 'mrbonecrusher' on the FALfiles removed my perm attached brake for $10 plus $10 return shipping.  He also does re-finishing.  Quick turn-around time too.  He does great work.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Im curious to know why you want a different FH than the Belgian. The one on my rifle is the Belgian long and it works very well.
You could be putting a lot of effort into somthing that doesnt show a marked improvement.

Just my .02$

John
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Im curious to know why you want a different FH than the Belgian. The one on my rifle is the Belgian long and it works very well.
You could be putting a lot of effort into somthing that doesnt show a marked improvement.

Just my .02$

John

The Belgian that comes with the DSA Para Congo just seems bulky and primitive to me. I really like the Styer short flash hider.

I figure a $2000 rifle should be my idea of a $2000 rifle from tip to tip.

No real reason beyond that.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's something you should check out:
www.chanuteks.com/usa/fal/imbmbre.htm

Member 'mrbonecrusher' on the FALfiles removed my perm attached brake for $10 plus $10 return shipping.  He also does re-finishing.  Quick turn-around time too.  He does great work.

Wow, that link couldn't be more perfect...that's EXACTLY the visual I needed to see. Thanks a lot for that!

Where is this "mrbonecrusher" located by the way?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

..... I really like the Styer short flash hider.

I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#16]
MrBonecrusher in Idaho

nice rifle btw!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Belgian that comes with the DSA Para Congo just seems bulky and primitive to me. I really like the Styer short flash hider.

No real reason beyond that.

Fair Enough,, I was just curious is all.

Thats is after all what makes these rifels "Our Rifles" after all, the ability to make them our own.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top