Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 9:25:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
For that kind of money, I'd pass on both of those, and order one from Ohio Rapid Fire... Either that, or "roll your own" - or lastly, keep an eye on the Marketplace over to the FALfiles - some good deals from reputable members pop up more often than you'd expect... FALs aren't hard to build, and I'm sure some of our fellow NY'ers would be willing to help you out - if I wasn't so far north(Syracuse) of you, I'd be happy to hook you up, bud...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree on Ohio Rapid Fire.

My FAL was built by Arizona Response Systems using mostly Steyer parts. Awesome gun.

I really like the DSA guns as well.

Good luck with the purchase. They are a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS used to market their own FAL receiver.  Used to being the key words here because they weren't regarded very highly.  They could be made to work well but took quite a bit of work - barrel timing issues IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Pass on both of those rifles. The DPMS rifle is definately a homebuilt rifle. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but knowing what I know about DPMS F A L receivers, the probability that the builder could not get it running and just dumped it is very high.

More than likely the Century rifle built on the IMBEL receiver is a decent gun. However, it is more than likely an inch pattern rifle and as such, the spare parts and magazines will be much higher in cost and sometimes difficult to find. Also accesories are not as plentiful for Inch pattern as they are with metrics.

For your first F A L, get a metric pattern rifle. As stated earlier, watch the marketplace forum at FALFILES for deals that come up regularly. A rifle built with an StG58 kit would be my suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed. Pass.

Metric over Inch.

ORF or DSA.

psssst, start buyin the cheap mags when you see them.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Wave, pass on that DPMS, those receivers are taboo and FAL builders absolutely despise them.  The Inch CAI / Imbel is quite the better rifle, I bet $1 that's an early build, if you can get that gun down to the $500 range, bingo.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top