Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:28:51 PM EDT
My New Belgium Kit: Help Requested

I just received a new all Belgium FAL kit (proof marks are present) for my first build. This will go on an IMBEL receiver to be constructed as a carbine with a barrel around 17 inches.

I am trying to figure out whether I want to use this barrel for the build or get a new IMBEL barrel. What do you all think? Using this barrel will obviously require that it gets chopped down, threaded and recrowned. The deciding factor really comes down to whether this barrel is chrome lined, but I am also wondering if it is sort of a sin to use this Belgium barrel for that purpose. Are non G1 Belgium barrels rare at all?

In order to figure out whether it is chrome lined I have to get this combo device off. I was hoping naively that I could just unscrew it by hand but it will not budge even when using a wrench. Can I place the receiver stub in a standard vise and then twist or will that do some kind of damage? Also, what direction do I twist to loosen the device? What do you all think of the kit?

Help is appreciated and comments are welcome.

The rest of the parts are out of site. They are in very good condition.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty nice kit to be hacking to bits.  You should be able to tell if its chrome lined by looking at the chamber end.  That's easier to see with the stub removed.

As for the muzzle thingy... its a left hand thread.  Right is loose.  

Finally, are you sure you really want it on an Imbel?  That is a type 1 lower and it sure would look nice on a type 1 upper from either DSA or Coonan.  Imbel works fine, but it just doesn't look as finished as the Imbel and the lighning cuts wont have anything to line up on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A little off topic, but if you don't mind my asking where did you get the Belgian parts? And what was the price? Thats going to make a VERY nice rifle when its done...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a sort of lucky break. I just happened to catch sight of a post on Falfiles saying that a batch of supposedly really nice Belgian kits came into the country. A few people in the know tried to but a somw only to find out that all 30 were purchased by one single person. Well, that person as far as I know was Schuzteman over on GNet. My second lucky break was finding that out and catching him in time. Of the 27 or so kits that he did not keep for himself, all but one or two were gone in 24 hours of posting. I got it for a real steal consdidering the price and condition of most kits available these days...$200 shipped with Belgian proof marks and all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It was a sort of lucky break. I just happened to catch sight of a post on Falfiles saying that a batch of supposedly really nice Belgian kits came into the country. A few people in the know tried to but a somw only to find out that all 30 were purchased by one single person. Well, that person as far as I know was Schuzteman over on GNet. My second lucky break was finding that out and catching him in time. Of the 27 or so kits that he did not keep for himself, all but one or two were gone in 24 hours of posting. I got it for a real steal consdidering the price and condition of most kits available these days...$200 shipped with Belgian proof marks and all.

Congratulations! Looks like you got a nice deal!
IMHO, I too would keep the barrel the original length and get a type 1 receiver... If you want a shorter barrel, maybe get an argentine barrel or something similar and have it cut down... I have an Argentine with a 18" barrel and find it a nice overall compromise... But I would definately keep that barrel original...

Or you could always sell the kit to me!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
You really got lucky, I wouldn't put that on an Imbel.  DSA all the way type 1 and make it purty.
Very nice kit I'm jealious.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I was lucky enough to get two of those kits.  On is a G1 with wood and metal HG the other is a g1 black on black... Both barells are absolutley pristine The seller took good care of me.  

Both kits will be buillt on Coonan w/ ch.  FSE HTS, FSE GAS Piston, PG, Floor Plates.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
grin
I have the same kit from scheutzenman.......you got lucky to snap one of those up!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Great looking kits the both of you.  As for cutting it up and using an Imbel, no.  No and NO!!  Thats too nice of a kit to be doing that to.  Now if it was some Argentinian surrender piece dragged up from the ocean front, sure but not that Belgian!  You guys got one hell of a steal!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top