Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 10:08:42 PM EDT
I bought a DSA FAL originally equipped with a free float tube. I decided I didn't like the tube, that trying to enhance accuracy with a FF tube was ridiculous, the additional weight was noticeable, and I didn't like the feel of holding a small diameter log. So I bought a standard handguard for it. But since the barrel was installed with the FF tube and a split clamp seen in the photo, I had to use a split ring for the standard handguard.

All I can say is ACK! BARF!

The split ring is designed so the barrel does not have to be remove to install the ring. I could use a whole ring if the gas block of the FAL could be removed, but the disassembly manual I have shows a complete stripping of the rifle, but no gas block removal.

My questions are:
* Can the gas block be removed simply by knocking out the retaining pin?
* Do you know of a source for a whole handguard retaining ring?

Free float tube with split clamp:

Split ring replacement for standard handguard:
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Better off just spinning the barrel.  
The gas blocks on some of the barrels need to be pressed off. When the barrels are re-parkerized, it dam near super glues the block onto the barrel.

P.S. What price are you are you asking for the tube?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't decided to sell the tube. It is OD green and it matches the furniture on the rifle. I'd like to keep it for eventual sale of the rifle as a package, should I decide to sell the rifle at all.

BTW, what is involved in barrel removal? I thought FAL barrels were pressed in and required a machine to remove.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrels are screwed in. Check out the build it yourself forums at falfiles.com.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not needed to do this my self, but I have heard of people making a fine cut in the top of the handguard ring, this allows them to slip the ring over the gas block.
Then they put a small weld where they cut the ring.
The weld will be under the gas cylinder and will not show.

Good luck, Court223
AKA, Court in FL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have not needed to do this my self, but I have heard of people making a fine cut in the top of the handguard ring, this allows them to slip the ring over the gas block.
Then they put a small weld where they cut the ring.
The weld will be under the gas cylinder and will not show.

Good luck, Court223
AKA, Court in FL.

I like this idea. Let me ponder that awhile. Thanks.
I don't really want to muck with barrel installation just for a handguard ring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top