Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 5:45:31 PM EDT
I am shopping for a scope and mount for my DSA STG58. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, the QD Pro mount from (Dwight) Williams is the best.  Problem is he went out of business a long time ago.  They were about $40 new and now go for $85 and up.  You can still find then on falfiles.com once in a while.  Again, just my opinion but a Bushnell 3200 looks good on'em or maybe a 4200 on the scope if you want to spend a bit more.  Attach with TSR rings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
For a scope, I like the Simmons 44 Mag Mil-Dot series.  There is a 3-10x and 6-20x, and I think one in between.  They are good, reliable mid-priced optics, but not really a match for Leupold or Bushnell.

Can't help you on the mount, I'm in the same boat as you on that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
i've been very happy with my DSA HD mount / loopy QRWs & loopy M8 6x42 A/O mildot

although i'm going to try an ARMS mount next as they appear a bit less bulky.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I suggest you check out falfiles. You will find prices range from $40 - $140. The only consistant thing I have read is the Williams QD-PRO mount (my understanding its no longer in production/available) is the most sought after. DSA, ARMS, & Tapco (4th gen.) are the main three out there. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Springfield1st Gen Combat 14X with a DSA mount on a DSA STG58, shot MOA at 100yds with five rounds of Australian surplus today. Only did it once out of about ten five round attempts but now I know its me. With the other groups I kept getting fliers high left, trigger is just a little harder than what I'm used to but I will prevail.

rk
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i've been very happy with my DSA HD mount / loopy QRWs & loopy M8 6x42 A/O mildot
cnr-ffl.us/FAL/QRWsm.jpg
although i'm going to try an ARMS mount next as they appear a bit less bulky.

May I make a suggestion?  Turn the rings around on the FAL.  Those locking levers are way too close to the charging handle.  Yes, I've got the cuts to prove it.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's like asking what kind of car is best.  What are you going to use it for?  Hunting, combat, range use, 3 gun or just what looks good?  Decide that first and you'll get much better answers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
May I make a suggestion?  Turn the rings around on the FAL.  Those locking levers are way too close to the charging handle.  Yes, I've got the cuts to prove it.  

thanks for the pointer Cliffy! i may just do that.
while i've had no problem yet i'm all for an 'ounce of prevention'
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's like asking what kind of car is best.  What are you going to use it for?  Hunting, combat, range use, 3 gun or just what looks good?  Decide that first and you'll get much better answers.

Long range sniping of plastic milk jugs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Ah... you've got the ol' marauding milk jug problem!  The DSA mount is the most stable, but also the biggest PITA to clean.  I prefer the ARMS mount.  For optics, you can never go wrong with a Leupold.  Just figure out what your budget is and find something that has a high end magnification of 12 to 14x.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
The DSA is the only choice.  

It clamps solidly onto the reciever and DOES NOT MOVE--I have 3000 rounds through mine wearing a full-size ACOG and there has been no movement or loosening of the screws or mount.  

It isn't really hard to clean either.  Just swab it out with a brush wrapped in a patch.  The upper on a  FAL doesn't really get very dirty anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
DSA scope mount
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The DSA is the only choice.  

It clamps solidly onto the reciever and DOES NOT MOVE--I have 3000 rounds through mine wearing a full-size ACOG and there has been no movement or loosening of the screws or mount.  

It isn't really hard to clean either.  Just swab it out with a brush wrapped in a patch.  The upper on a  FAL doesn't really get very dirty anyway.  

I concur. Spendy bastid though. Don't forget to get the brass catcher too.

AB
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I  went cheap and got a TAPCO, works just as good as my brother in laws DSA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Accupoint!

Remman
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to agree with the DSA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top