Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 12:14:16 PM EDT
I’m doing the following mods to my DSA STG58 carbine:

Replace factory handguards and buttstock with Israeli furniture.
Replace barrel with chrome-lined 18” barrel with fake Belgian combo device (acts as a brake only).
Replace lower receiver, top cover, and triggerguard with alloy components.
Replace cocking handle with folding aluminum cocking handle from VOW.
Replace rear sight with windage adjustable Para sight from VOW.
Remove carry handle

I really wanted a chrome-lined and fluted 18” barrel, but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.  Overall, I think this’ll make it toteable.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I have the Izzy furniture on as well as the alloy lower, triggerguard, and top cover.  She weighs in at 7 1/2 lbs. with an empty alloy mag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you really want a light weight, skip the Israeli furnature and the muzzle device.  The cheap shit forend from Tapco matches the STG58 profile but is plastic and weights almost nothing.  The noise maker at the end of the barrel does nothing but add weight and noise.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you really want a light weight, skip the Israeli furnature and the muzzle device.  The cheap shit forend from Tapco matches the STG58 profile but is plastic and weights almost nothing.  The noise maker at the end of the barrel does nothing but add weight and noise.

The reason I went with the Izzy stuff is for heat.  The heat after just a couple mags is unbearable.  The Izzy handguards are awesome in this regard.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I know... I've got them on my para.  For my lightweight project though, I'm going with the plastic ones from Tapco.  I've used them before and they don't heat up nearly as quickly as the metal STG ones.  You'd be amazed at how much difference there is in the weight of them.  Also, because they are so thin, it just seems to balance better and feel even lighter than it is.

For pure heat control though... there is nothing like the Israeli.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Replace cocking handle with folding aluminum cocking handle from VOW.
Replace rear sight with windage adjustable Para sight from VOW.
Remove carry handle

VOW have a web site ??
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
www.volunteerordnanceworks.com/

I would recommend checking gunthings.com for VOW stuff first as ordering from VOW itself can be a little slow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Brad u gotta bring that thing to the next meet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top