Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 9:29:20 AM EDT
Im trying to decided on my first DSA Fal and am woundering what is the prefered upper receiver type?
DSA offers Type 1, 2, or 3. And what make your choice better than the others?
It all new to me and I want to get it right the first time around.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Type I is the original receiver configuration.  It can be identified by a lightening cut down the sides.

Type II was developed because there were instances where Type I receivers cracked from sustained full-auto fire.  It is similar to the Type I except the lightening cuts have reinforcement where the cracks were occurring.

Type III is the latest incarnation.  It can be identified by the lack of lightening cuts.

The general consensus is that the Type I is fine for most semi-auto applications.  Type III is obviously heavier with no real gain in durability.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Type I...

Type II...

Type III...

Go here for more details...

dsarms.com/subcats.cfm?Category=02&storeid=1
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Last December i picked up a DSA STG58A from the local dealer and when i arrived home and completed a cleaning and disasembly of the gun i realized the rifle was built on a type 3 receiver.

DSA states in their catalog these guns would be built on type 1 and 2 receivers. Surprise...DSA must have been busy with the popularity of this weapon and somehow a type 3 found it way to the STG58 production line.

The type 3 is the plain Jane model but the receiver has its own unique modern look over the lighting cutts of days past. Its a keeper.    
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
V2 you lucky dog,kind of wish mine was a type 3 as I just seem to like its looks. One is just as good as another though. Also is your lower a type 3? Some STG58's had uppers replaced in service  with type3's not sure about lowers but suspect the same.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also is your lower a type 3? Some STG58's had uppers replaced in service  with type3's not sure about lowers but suspect the same.

I didn't know that the lowers came in different types as well.  How do you tell the difference?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also is your lower a type 3? Some STG58's had uppers replaced in service  with type3's not sure about lowers but suspect the same.

I didn't know that the lowers came in different types as well.  How do you tell the difference?

Note the Type 1 photo. Note aft portion of rec. The step that's formed by the lighting cut is duplicated on the standing breech of the lower. The Type 3 lowers don't have the cuts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Damnyankee, You know i don't see any difference with the lower pistol grip fire control housing than the standard issue STG58's using the type 1 and 2 receivers. To tell the truth i felt a little cheeted at first on the discovery, as the original Styre STG's were were isssed the type 1 receiver. DSA should have made sure these copy/varients followed historic designs as much as possible as their promotion of these rifles was released.  Oh, well,.. shit happens, the type three will do.....    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top