Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
Finally got the new DSA FAL STG658 from the Steyr Aug  deal and I am very pleased with the fit,finish and way this rifle shoots.  I had it out the range today before the rain started(AGAIN)and it only took 12 shots to zero the rifle at 50 yds and then it was shooting 1" groups with surplus Port.   At 100 yds the groups opened up to 1.5-2" which I am very happy with!  Great gun and well worth the wait!

Oh and btw I have to confess, this is the gun my wife bought me.  She takes one look at it and says, "looks just like your other one"!  Thank god she thinks they all look alike since there are quite a few she doesn't know about yet!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up the carbine version yesterday.  They really are sweet aren't they?  I'll be shooting mine for the first time next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DSA has a big winner with this STG58 and i a vary pleased with mine. My carbine shoots consistant 2" inch groups at 100 meters and is a pure delite to shoot over the G3. I was surprised to discover that my carbine was built on a type 3 receiver as the catalog only says type one or two receivers are used for this model line. Anyway she is one hight quality piece and a excellent value for 960.00      V2
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
These are definitely the best money spent on a FAL.  I've owned a number of pre-ban FAL's, and they are easily as good, if not better made in some respects, to most pre-ban FAL's, either from Belgium, Brazil (Springfield Armory SAR-48) or Argentina.

Now all you need is a nice wood buttstock and you'll be set!

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice looking rifles. If I had known DSA had them in there line up I would have boughtone. I went out and bought a DSA STG58 kit and compliance parts, DSA STG style muzzel brake,DSA gas piston with the nitrate coating (spelling :(  )DSA spring set,  FSE trigger group,Tapco SAW style pistol grip, and Im having a FAL smith build and repark it to match for me in Atlanta. Tony at M&M .I will have the same rifle in the end and will have a little less in it but DSA warrenty would be nice for the long haul.And also Im at a 4 month turn around with Tony.Its the wait that hurts,lol...Great rifle again, WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Heard nothing but good things about Tony, War Dawg.

The DSA StG-58A is basically a "parts gun", but made fromteh absolute best parts, and it does have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
HI,

I am new to the FAL thing, but I an starting to see the light. Anyway I to am looking at a DSA tactical carbine. I would like to know any of you here who have one two things, reliability, how is it?. And with that 16.25 inch barrel, can it shoot out to 500 yards if needed?. Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heard nothing but good things about Tony, War Dawg.

The DSA StG-58A is basically a "parts gun", but made fromteh absolute best parts, and it does have a lifetime warranty.

I have 2 of DSA's stg-58's, the standard and the carbine. The only parts covered by the 'lifetime' warranty are the new dsa parts. Not any of the parts from the original kit gun. I've called and spoken to them about this and have a link to it on their website.

Just read it right on the bottom...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Templar:  how does the wood stock effect your cheek weld?  The only minor criticism I have about the STG58 is I tend to put a lot of pressure on the stock with my cheek(old habit)and this gun gives a little more feedback there than I'm used to as say  compared to my M1A.  It looks to me as though the wood humpback stock might alleviate this somewhat what's your experience and where did you get the stock from.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice, wish I got in on the group buy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Templar:  how does the wood stock effect your cheek weld?  The only minor criticism I have about the STG58 is I tend to put a lot of pressure on the stock with my cheek(old habit)and this gun gives a little more feedback there than I'm used to as say  compared to my M1A.  It looks to me as though the wood humpback stock might alleviate this somewhat what's your experience and where did you get the stock from.
Thanks

The StG stock has a rather high comb. If you look at the photo of the wood stock you'll see it's a "humpback" with a lower comb. I replaced my StG stock with a lower combed one and I like it much more. Less cheek whack. Penguin amkes a great US one, or you can get a surplus one from Tapco or other vendors.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the feel of the humpback wood stock much better than the Austrian straight stock.

The stock came from DSA as part of the European walnut stock set.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
HI,

I am new to the FAL thing, but I an starting to see the light. Anyway I to am looking at a DSA tactical carbine. I would like to know any of you here who have one two things, reliability, how is it?. And with that 16.25 inch barrel, can it shoot out to 500 yards if needed?. Thanks,Kev

Glad to see you comin' round. a DSA 16.25 carbine will in-fact do the job at 500yds if you can. If you are looking to get out ther a bit though, go with the 21". Few FALS besides DSA ever came with a 16.25" barrel. DSA does offer a medium contour 18" too. A FAL sure makes your lil gas tube gun jealous doesn't it? MY AR's just get in the ay now when taking the FALS out of the safe. Always and always will love the M1A but is not even in the same zip code as the FAL. Use match .308 and your groups will tighten. Even with Portugese surplus, id I had to take one rifle to desert island, it sure as hell wouldnt be an AR and since I'n not much for clubs, it wouldn't be an M1A either. DSA all the way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]
HI,

PATRIOT 73, the more I look at them DSA I like them more. I am now really looking at the DSA SA58 standard, I hear they are great and when I E-mailed DSA they got back right away to me and answered all my questions. Thanks,Kev

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
HI,

PATRIOT 73, the more I look at them DSA I like them more. I am now really looking at the DSA SA58 standard, I hear they are great and when I E-mailed DSA they got back right away to me and answered all my questions. Thanks,Kev

I'm tellin ya Kev, DSA all the way, pricey but you get what you pay for. I have a DSA or two and I have gone out of my way to get them to malfucntion and they refuse. Plus, $15 for brand new FN mags from Tapco and $12 excellent mags from DSA, gotta love it. Let me know if you get one, I will enjoy seeing a brother get his first DSA FAL. You will point and laugh at M1A's (well I wouldn't point and laugh at an M1A, especially if it's Private Pyle's) Gotta love the M1A but even though they shoot the same ammo, two totally different rifles.I am a FALAHOLIC for life. I'd like a pre-ban Springfield but hard to track down and when you do and when you can get a DSA for less, it just makes no sense. Anyone know why Springfield doesn't make FAL's anymore? My brand spankin new Springfield Garand is on order, I can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
HI,

PATRIOT 73, I hope to see if I can get it in August, just got to make sure I am okay with money for a few things, and then I will go for a DSA SA58 Standard. I will get the DSA mount on top as I like to have many options for quick scopes placement, but those DSA look fantastic. Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
HI,

PATRIOT 73, I hope to see if I can get it in August, just got to make sure I am okay with money for a few things, and then I will go for a DSA SA58 Standard. I will get the DSA mount on top as I like to have many options for quick scopes placement, but those DSA look fantastic. Thanks,Kev

Cool
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
How loud/effective are the muzzle breaks on these?  The four ports don't look like they would blast everything around you.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
HI,

Heres mine:

I dont have a 500 yard range to shoot it at, but I can tell you I've had a couple of three shot one hundred yard groups at under an inch (off a bench, with iron sights, black hills ammo)

I've had two jams within the first 50 rounds, nothing since. I've put about 500 thru it so far.

Its worth ever penny.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How loud/effective are the muzzle breaks on these?  The four ports don't look like they would blast everything around you.

Thanks.

The STG brake is very loud to bystanders, but very effective for the shooter.  I did an offhand mag dump with my carbine and easily kept everything in the chest area of the target at 100 yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top