Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 1:42:04 PM EDT
I have built AR15's before and I am pretty good fixing and customizing my other guns. But, I have never messed with or owned a FAL... I see parts kits in Shotgun News. Are there any "special" tools needed to build one? Are they more or less difficult than an AR? Where can I get a manual or blueprint?

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a FALAHOLIC and proud of it!

The best source for FAL info is www.falfiles.com.

Go there and look under Gunsmithing and Build It Yourself sections for anything and everything related to FAL construction.

It is somewhat more complicated or harder to build a FAL vs. a AR-15 but its worth it in the end.

As for tools you will need two or three specialized tools or if your handy you can make them yourself (like I did) adds to the fun of it.

Good kits are getting scarce so act quick after researching the FALFILES.

I would reccommend going with a Metric kit. I can personally vouch for the high quality of the DSA refinished G-1 metric kit. I received a like new barrel and every part was cleaned and freshly parkerized to nice grey/black finish. They also through in several new parts to replace any excessively worn original parts.
Think about adding to the order the New Springs
pack options. I believe my order ran less than $ 300 total.

For a receiver get a IMBEL Metric for about $199.

Remember these are 40 - 50 year firearms that have been well used, so expect to get what you pay for. A $99 TAPCO kit will be a ugly mess!

Enjoy !
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
For receievers FAC is a good place to go shop. They have the Imbels (gear logo) receivers and the USA made Dan Coonan receivers for $200. Either will make a nice rifle.The Dan Coonan reciever has two small pluses going for it IMO. It is a USA part.One less for you to have to buy and it is heat treated and then machined according to the Manufactor ( Dan Coonan )who makes them for FAC.From what I gather the Imbels are spot treated in the areas that need it only.Not saying thats bad, they have been making them for along time.This is alittle of the things I picked up from the FAL files crowd.Good luck on your adventure, WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm a FALAHOLIC and proud of it!

The best source for FAL info is www.falfiles.com.

Go there and look under Gunsmithing and Build It Yourself sections for anything and everything related to FAL construction.

It is somewhat more complicated or harder to build a FAL vs. a AR-15 but its worth it in the end.

As for tools you will need two or three specialized tools or if your handy you can make them yourself (like I did) adds to the fun of it.

Good kits are getting scarce so act quick after researching the FALFILES.

I would reccommend going with a Metric kit. I can personally vouch for the high quality of the DSA refinished G-1 metric kit. I received a like new barrel and every part was cleaned and freshly parkerized to nice grey/black finish. They also through in several new parts to replace any excessively worn original parts.
Think about adding to the order the New Springs
pack options. I believe my order ran less than $ 300 total.

For a receiver get a IMBEL Metric for about $199.

Remember these are 40 - 50 year firearms that have been well used, so expect to get what you pay for. A $99 TAPCO kit will be a ugly mess!

Enjoy !

Major FALAHOLIC here too. What is going on with th FNFAL site? Seems abandoned these days. To chime in here the FAL is only harder to build because you can't get a barreled upper like you can an AR. The kits are drying up FAST. I have a refinished G1 kit from DSA too, can't say enough good about it but i think DSA is out.Unless you are handly with a sandblaster and can parkerize, stay away from all other G1 kits. They were sent to Turkey after the Germans were done with them and the Turks should be kicked out of NATO for how they kept their rifles. Best bet is an STG kit from DSA. If you have never done trigger work, buy the stg kit from DSA and the DSA US trigger parts, they will drop right in. Any other FN lowers I have done regardless of the trigger parts always needs fitting. Here is some solid FAL building advice and some common practices that are done and need to be avoided. DSA draws the receiver into the barrel which they swear by, I have seen a DSA receiver crack this way, which they replaced the same day. I do it this way too. Lots of guys will put the receiver in the wrench and vise and barrel it with a wrench on the barrel shoulder, to each his own. Ihave heard about some disturbing practices that you should NEVER do.
1. NEVER grind down a locking shoulder to headspcae, buy the right size LS. Entreprise condones this practice, stay away from them.
2. Heating up a muzzle brake with a mapp gas torch will cause soft spots on the brake, don't do it. Ask DSA to solder it on if you don't have access to an infusion machine.
3. Don't take the barrel shoulder down with a sanding disc, no one will ever convince me that this works correctly.
DSA receivers and barrels time PERFECT at 10:30 and they draw right up to TDC with ease.
Now you have the best rifle EVER made. The FAL will make you want to sell your AR's to get more FALS.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Major FALAHOLIC here too. What is going on with th FNFAL site?

The FNFAL site is the old version FALfiles.  They revert to the FNFAL.com when the FALfiles takes a dive.  The site was hacked this spring which is why you see recent activity.  The new site has been on since July of 2000.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Major FALAHOLIC here too. What is going on with th FNFAL site?

The FNFAL site is the old version FALfiles.  They revert to the FNFAL.com when the FALfiles takes a dive.  The site was hacked this spring which is why you see recent activity.  The new site has been on since July of 2000.

Thanks. Now I can stop wading through the old site to get to the new site.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
just felt like i should defend  the tapco kits a little.  

i bought one of these and while it is mandatory that you refinish them, the barrel is PERFECT as is all of the internals (even though you cant use them).  i feel like i got a great deal on mine.  the kit far exceeded my expectations.
altough you cannot get the complete kit any longer, you can still "piece" together one of these kits from tapco for a little more than 100 bucks.  everyone who got one of these kits at falfiles.com was also happy with it.

as for tools i would say try and go to a "group build"  in your area.  they do them quite often at falfiles.com.  this way you can borrow the tools and get expert advice form seasoned builders.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a $300 DSA STG kit I built today on a Coonan receiver for a co-worker:

www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=268105654201_17542702903&collid=90744949703&photoid=66105602903&page=1

It was mechanically perfect, and the locking shoulder showed zero wear, but the furnished cut receiver piece it was in is not necessarily from the same rifle as the barrel group.  The worst kit part was the charging handle.  This kit only needs refinishing.  I would STRONGLY recommend it, especially if it is your one and only.  It timed at 11:00 and was the easiest build to date.  We will be shooting this rifle tomorrow.  Even though I planned on no more kits (I have seven already), it in such good condition that I think I'll get one and put it up for a future build.  Kits appear to be drying up for real this time.

I will also chime in on the Tapco $100 kit.  

I built one for another guy that mechanically was similar to this STG I just did, but had far more external/cosmetic wear.  I used an Imbel receiver, which took a lot of shoulder work, but was sweet none the less.  It too, built up into a beautiful rifle and shot perfectly from the very first round.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top