Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2022 11:23:34 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where is the best place to get a receiver for a Fulton Armory build?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not trying to be cute, but what are you trying to build. M-1’s, M-1 carbines, and M-14 receivers don’t really have lower receivers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not trying to be cute, but what are you trying to build. M-1’s, M-1 carbines, and M-14 receivers don’t really have lower receivers.
View Quote

I intend to build an M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you intend to send the receiver to Fulton so they will do all the work or are you going to buy all the parts from Fulton and build it yourself?

If you're doing the former, it might be easier to try and find a deal on a Garand that's in poor, sporterized or non-working condition and let them salvage the receiver from it. Last I saw any Garand receivers up for commercial sale it was on Royal Tiger Import's site for $600ish each and they're sold out at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you intend to send the receiver to Fulton so they will do all the work or are you going to buy all the parts from Fulton and build it yourself?

If you're doing the former, it might be easier to try and find a deal on a Garand that's in poor, sporterized or non-working condition and let them salvage the receiver from it. Last I saw any Garand receivers up for commercial sale it was on Royal Tiger Import's site for $600ish each and they're sold out at the moment.
View Quote

@B2k4E

I intend to send Fulton a receiver and have them build me an M1 Garand.

Thanks for the info.  Admittedly, I know nothing about Garands, other than I want one.

I hadn't thought about buying a shitbox Garand, then harvesting the receiver from it.

How much should one cost, and if the receiver is damaged and/or blemished, can Fulton restore it?

Also, why can't Fulton make receivers?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@B2k4E

I intend to send Fulton a receiver and have them build me an M1 Garand.

Thanks for the info.  Admittedly, I know nothing about Garands, other than I want one.

I hadn't thought about buying a shitbox Garand, then harvesting the receiver from it.

How much should one cost, and if the receiver is damaged and/or blemished, can Fulton restore it?

Also, why can't Fulton make receivers?

Thanks again.
View Quote

I'm not sure how much a shitbox Garand would cost, I honestly haven't looked for any. However I probably wouldn't pay more than $700 if the barrel and receiver and bolt are intact (depending on pedigree as well, if it's an early Garand, made by a more uncommon manufacturer or was a former M1C or M1D etc.).

You could also go through the steps to order a Rack Grade M1 from the CMP for $800-$900 (don't quote me on that price) and then send it to Fulton, which is the process they typically recommend. Hell, you might get a decent M1 from the CMP and decide to just keep and shoot it as-is, unless you're just really wanting a nice one. In that case you could opt for a CMP Special or Expert grade if they have one available as well.

You'd probably have to email Fulton pictures of any damaged critical components and correspond with them on if they think they'd be able to fix it or not. I'd be primarily concerned with the condition of the receiver as I believe they have USGI and new production bolts, and Criterion makes nice new barrels; I have one of the Criterion M1903A3 Springfield barrels in my 1903A4 reproduction rifle and it shoots pretty well. They seem to be pretty talented though, as a poster in a thread in here sent them a bubba'd M1 Carbine with a jeweled bolt that he didn't think they'd be able to refinish it and they managed to.

I imagine Fulton can't make M1 receivers because the milspec receivers are forged steel. Pretty much all of the dies and tooling from the military armories and contractors were scrapped after military production of the M1 ended. The M1 would be a very expensive rifle to produce to original TDP in today's commercial manufacturing scene. While you could opt for a cast steel receiver (and those do exist, Century Arms made some M1's from parts kits and used new production cast steel receivers), it wouldn't be as rigid or desirable as a forged receiver and Fulton likely wouldn't want to sacrifice quality to cut costs when it comes to such a critical component.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not sure how much a shitbox Garand would cost, I honestly haven't looked for any. However I probably wouldn't pay more than $700 if the barrel and receiver and bolt are intact (depending on pedigree as well, if it's an early Garand, made by a more uncommon manufacturer or was a former M1C or M1D etc.).

You could also go through the steps to order a Rack Grade M1 from the CMP for $800-$900 (don't quote me on that price) and then send it to Fulton, which is the process they typically recommend. Hell, you might get a decent M1 from the CMP and decide to just keep and shoot it as-is, unless you're just really wanting a nice one. In that case you could opt for a CMP Special or Expert grade if they have one available as well.

You'd probably have to email Fulton pictures of any damaged critical components and correspond with them on if they think they'd be able to fix it or not. I'd be primarily concerned with the condition of the receiver as I believe they have USGI and new production bolts, and Criterion makes nice new barrels; I have one of the Criterion M1903A3 Springfield barrels in my 1903A4 reproduction rifle and it shoots pretty well. They seem to be pretty talented though, as a poster in a thread in here sent them a bubba'd M1 Carbine with a jeweled bolt that he didn't think they'd be able to refinish it and they managed to.

I imagine Fulton can't make M1 receivers because the milspec receivers are forged steel. Pretty much all of the dies and tooling from the military armories and contractors were scrapped after military production of the M1 ended. The M1 would be a very expensive rifle to produce to original TDP in today's commercial manufacturing scene. While you could opt for a cast steel receiver (and those do exist, Century Arms made some M1's from parts kits and used new production cast steel receivers), it wouldn't be as rigid or desirable as a forged receiver and Fulton likely wouldn't want to sacrifice quality to cut costs when it comes to such a critical component.
View Quote

More great info.

I might go the CMP route.

Although, I have heard that their process is much more strict now than it used to be.

I believe in years past, it was just some basic paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More great info.

Although, I have heard that their process is much more strict now than it used to be.

View Quote

Can't blame them. Stock that they can make into functioning rifles is dwindling, and I'm sure by now they know about how a number of people will abuse the CMP program by buying their yearly allotment of rifles and then taking them to gun shows to try and double or triple their money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can't blame them. Stock that they can make into functioning rifles is dwindling, and I'm sure by now they know about how a number of people will abuse the CMP program by buying their yearly allotment of rifles and then taking them to gun shows to try and double or triple their money.
View Quote

Do you know if CMP answers the phone?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you know if CMP answers the phone?

Thanks.
View Quote

I'm not certain, but I did email them inquiring about some M1 Garand gunsmithing services and they got back with me in about a day or two with a pretty detailed reply.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Can I ask why you want to have Fulton "build" you a garand? Just curious
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not certain, but I did email them inquiring about some M1 Garand gunsmithing services and they got back with me in about a day or two with a pretty detailed reply.
View Quote

Thanks.  I’ll hit them up this week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, I’m just getting into this.  As in today.

Fulton seems like the high quality option, and that’s what I’m going for.

I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
"Due to the unavailability of USGI M1 Garand Receivers, we are only able to build complete rifles with customer provided receivers or rifles.  We recommend sourcing a donor rifle from the CMP and send to us for restoration.  It is the most cost-effective way of getting our Peerless quality."

*Price reflects a customer supplied, stripped USGI M1 Garand Receiver in serviceable condition. Complete rifle rebuilds are priced as a service. " Good luck tracking down a stripped receiver!

Fulton used to take your stripped receiver and build a complete rifle. Now they can't get receivers, so you have to send them yours. Honestly, I would order an M1 from the CMP, and if it's got a rough barrel or something, buy a Criterion and send it to Shuff's Parkerizing. Tim has done several for me and his work is excellent. Hell, he may have decent barrels for sale. Send him an M1 and ask him to rebarrel it, check it over, refinish, he's got several packages to fix your M1 right up. There are dozens of companies that sell M1 parts so you can order anything to replace something worn out on an M1. Once rebuilt it'll probably outlast your grandkids anyway...
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I may be wrong.
View Quote

So you will have around $3000 in it once you buy a receiver.
There are good garands for sale at less than half that cost that will make great shooters
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
A CMP rack grade is $650 delivered to your door.  Your stock condition and metal condition might vary; plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a nice Garand, here's what to do:

Join the Garand Collectors Association.

The GCA publishes a quarterly journal and there are advertisements in the back. Place an advertisement in the GCA Journal as follows:  "Wanted, a nice shooter Garand"

In no time, you will receive a number of messages. There are some members of the GCA who have almost as many Garands as I do and there are always good rifles for sale.

Buying a rifle this way will give you the best value for your dollar.  You can find back issues of the GCA Journal on E Bay and you should buy some back issues.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I may be wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be wrong.

If you're wanting a nice Garand, my suggestion is get the Expert model from CMP for $1100 bucks. This will be much cheaper than having Fulton build you one for the current $2300 bucks plus having to provide a hard-to-find USGI receiver that will add to the cost

The Expert's use new production barrels and stocks. There is a risk of getting one with pitting but that doesn't affect function on Expert models.

Case in point

My 1st Expert Garand

I got that in February when they ran $1000  and was pleased with what I got. So much so that I ordered 2 more since. One had more pitting than the other but both are serviceable. I traded 1 to a buddy and kept the 3rd.

If you still want Fulton to tweak it after you get it you can do that. The Garand I linked I contacted FA about repairing the very minor pitting in the pictures. They said they could "blend" it in and I like the darker Parkerizing they use on their rifles so I sent it in for a tech check and repark. I figure unless they find an out of spec op rod it'll run me a few hundred bucks as opposed to the $2300 bucks plus $500-600 for a USGI receiver.

As to why FA doesn't make Garand receivers it's never been cost effective until very recently to CNC machine them. Cast Garand receivers have never been popular (see new Springfield Armory) and surplus USGI receivers were still fairly easy to find.

FA's M1 carbines do use a CNC machined receiver but those are very expensive and limited run.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you're wanting a nice Garand, my suggestion is get the Expert model from CMP for $1100 bucks. This will be much cheaper than having Fulton build you one for the current $2300 bucks plus having to provide a hard-to-find USGI receiver that will add to the cost

The Expert's use new production barrels and stocks. There is a risk of getting one with pitting but that doesn't affect function on Expert models.

Case in point

My 1st Expert Garand

I got that in February when they ran $1000  and was pleased with what I got. So much so that I ordered 2 more since. One had more pitting than the other but both are serviceable. I traded 1 to a buddy and kept the 3rd.

If you still want Fulton to tweak it after you get it you can do that. The Garand I linked I contacted FA about repairing the very minor pitting in the pictures. They said they could "blend" it in and I like the darker Parkerizing they use on their rifles so I sent it in for a tech check and repark. I figure unless they find an out of spec op rod it'll run me a few hundred bucks as opposed to the $2300 bucks plus $500-600 for a USGI receiver.

As to why FA doesn't make Garand receivers it's never been cost effective until very recently to CNC machine them. Cast Garand receivers have never been popular (see new Springfield Armory) and surplus USGI receivers were still fairly easy to find.

FA's M1 carbines do use a CNC machined receiver but those are very expensive and limited run.
View Quote

@DonFlynn

Very nice rifle!

Does CMP send you pics of the receiver before you commit to it?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote

No, its all luck of the draw
Read the grade description and expect to get exactly that. Do not expect to get what others post pictures of
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@DonFlynn

Very nice rifle!

Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case in point

My 1st Expert Garand

@DonFlynn

Very nice rifle!

Just curious.

As mentioned, luck of the draw. This is the 2nd one I mentioned and the pitting it had

I swapped the op rod on this one with the 3rd I traded my buddy with. It had similar pitting on the receiver below the wood line.

I've been toying with ordering 1 more but I'm thinking the smarter move is to wait until Fulton finishes the work on the 1 I sent in last week. I'm also hoping CMP releases "Service" grade Garands for sale through the mail order program.

They've had a limited number (150) at the TMP store recently that are supposed to be in nice shape.

IMO for a 1st Garand I would order the Expert and see what you get. Functionally it'll be a fine shooter and cheaper than the FA build. Stripped Garand receivers are very hard to find right now and IMO unless you find one with a set of CMP papers there is just enough of a risk of someone selling you a "reweld" (see the So you want to buy a Garand pinned thread here on that) that it's not worth the risk. Better to deal with minor pitting than wasting money on a chancy receiver.

I've that problem with M1 Carbines right now. I "need" a receiver to build another full M1 carbine, I have everything else (Inland parts and barrel) to build one. The only place I would risk buying one is either Fulton since they've started selling new USGI spec ones again or the CMP forum.

I won't get the Fulton (yet) because I already own 3 FA made Carbines along with 6 other assorted ones. I'm wanting an Inland USGI one so I can build a full Inland but don't need it. 3 of my 4 USGI Carbines are Inlands now. I can't afford to become the "Fluffy" of M1 carbines this forum  (yet...I ever win the lottery all bets are off )
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised that nobody is forging Garand receivers.

Is it THAT difficult and expensive?

And there would be instant, guaranteed demand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Forging a receiver is expensive. It was done during the war because that was the only technology available at the time and cost wasn't as major a concern since the government was footing the bill

You gotta remember, until recently the number of surplus M1 Garands was enough to satisfy demand. When "Modern" Springfield Armory tried making a new production Garand they were still competing with a plentiful supply of CMP Garands at a lower price.

The only reason Fulton was/is able to offer a "USGI" spec "forged" M1 carbine receiver is Modern Springfield looked into making new production Carbines around 1998. They knew the "stigma" of cast receiver M1 carbines had so they invested in using modern CNC machining to make a receiver hardened to USGI specs but CNC machined instead of forged. They dropped the project for the same reason as they discontinued their Garands, the supply of surplus Carbines at the time didn't warrant the risk.

LMT was the subcontractor for that. When Fulton decided in 2012 to start making complete Carbines they could use the R&D LMT had and subcontract that portion of the Carbine to LMT.

I believe that contract expired for a time last year. Fulton stopped offering complete Carbines for a time. They must have renewed the contract or found a new supplier using CNC machining also. The prices of new FA carbines did increase when brought back on the market this year.

There is a rumor that Palmetto State Armory was/is thinking of offering a new production Garand using a CNC machined receiver. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, prices will be high IMO and odds are PSA is holding the project because they can't compete with $1100 "Expert" Garands.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There is a rumor that Palmetto State Armory was/is thinking of offering a new production Garand using a CNC machined receiver. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, prices will be high IMO and odds are PSA is holding the project because they can't compete with $1100 "Expert" Garands.
View Quote
If memory serves, PSA now owns the H&R name.

But I would easily expect any new production Garands to be $1599, just as a wild guess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But I would easily expect any new production Garands to be $1599, just as a wild guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can hope but it'll depend on demand. I would imagine PSA would have to make new production parts and the op rod will be the hardest next to the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt that price would not even come close
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#26]
From my initial research, H&R lowers seem to be the most sought out.

Why is that?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From my initial research, H&R lowers seem to be the most sought out.

Why is that?

Thanks.
View Quote

Some people think that H&R receivers were the best of the USGI Garand receivers. But the best USGI Garand receivers were those made post war.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some people think that H&R receivers were the best of the USGI Garand receivers. But the best USGI Garand receivers were those made post war.
View Quote

What's a good year or range of years?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Ones as good as any, all parts are interchangeable. Finish is better on Post War thats all
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What's a good year or range of years?

Thanks.
View Quote

It doesn't really matter. Just pick any Garand receiver made after WW2.

(HRA, IHC, Beretta, Breda or a late Springfield)

As M1G points out all of these have a nicer finish than a WW2 receiver
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#31]
nothing wrong with a WWII receiver either,dont turn down a rifle just becuase its WWII. Personally, I prefer WWII, it has real history behind it
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
nothing wrong with a WWII receiver either,dont turn down a rifle just becuase its WWII. Personally, I prefer WWII, it has real history behind it
View Quote

The finish seems to be the issue with WWII ones. If Fulton does build a Garand they repark all the USGI parts anyway so that's not a issue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The finish seems to be the issue with WWII ones. If Fulton does build a Garand they repark all the USGI parts anyway so that's not a issue.
View Quote

When "finish" is mentioned in this context, are people usually talking about the parkerizing or are they talking about tool marks and burrs and such?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When "finish" is mentioned in this context, are people usually talking about the parkerizing or are they talking about tool marks and burrs and such?

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Parkerizing IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you want a nice Garand, here's what to do:

Join the Garand Collectors Association.
The GCA publishes a quarterly journal and there are advertisements in the back. Place an advertisement in the GCA Journal as follows:  "Wanted, a nice shooter Garand"
In no time, you will receive a number of messages. There are some members of the GCA who have almost as many Garands as I do and there are always good rifles for sale.
Buying a rifle this way will give you the best value for your dollar.  You can find back issues of the GCA Journal on E Bay and you should buy some back issues.
View Quote

This … is the way to go if all you want is a good “shooter” M1, not a Collector/Safe Queen.  Join the GCA, and then place an ad describing what you’re looking for.

Skip over-priced F.A. Their M1s don’t run or shoot any better than an M1 sourced from the CMP or one built by Tim at Shuff’s Parkerizing.

Or one you can purchase from a fellow GCA member who’s got six or eight shooter-grade M1s collecting dust in his safe. Be ready to spend $1200.00-$1500.00, depending on the described condition or grade-level.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I’ve got several WW2 receivers attached to M1 rifles.

They all carry an impressive history, having been strapped to the backs of skinny GIs who were ordered to jump out of perfectly good aircraft to kill Japs and Nazis with them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been looking over the CMP form.

It looks like I need to have page (2) notarized.

Is that correct?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Parkerizing IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Parkerizing IMO.

It's also tool marks
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is that correct?

Thanks.
View Quote

Correct. You do have to have notarized. My understanding is that once you do that the 1st time your good for a year. Check your local bank, they might provide it for free for you (mine does )

You get the Expert post pictures
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Correct. You do have to have notarized. My understanding is that once you do that the 1st time your good for a year. Check your local bank, they might provide it for free for you (mine does )

View Quote

Thanks.

I'm trying to find a good phone number for CMP as I have some other questions.  So far, everything goes to dead-end automated systems.

BTW, you all have been incredibly helpful to me in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm trying to find a good phone number for CMP as I have some other questions.  So far, everything goes to dead-end automated systems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Glad to help.

Once you get it figured out ordering from CMP is very easy. Make sure you send a copy of your driver license, proof of firearms safety training (CCW permit works) and membership in the approved CMP affiliated program.

Last time I ordered one it took 3 weeks from the time I mailed it to I got the Garand. I would expect 4-5 weeks for yours since you're a new customer.

I would ask your questions here. CMP isn't really set up for phone support IMO. You'll find enough people here with experience with the process that your questions should be answered
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that correct?

Thanks.
View Quote
I got mine notarized by an employee at a UPS store, it was $5.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

More great info.

View Quote

The rifle process hasn't changed.  Join an CMP affiliated club (Garand Collectors Assoc is the easiest route), fill out the packet, get one form notarized, and send it in.  If anything it's easier than it was years ago.  This will be the easiest and certainly cheapest route to go.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it is or else someone would be producing them.  There are millions of perfectly fine guns and receivers out there so it is not financially viable to put the efforts and capital in. Century tried producing a cast version which were mostly junk.

M14 receivers are the same way, except they are much harder to own for a civilian.  They have been successfully cast and forged but the price is close to $1k for the most basic forged sample.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Glad to help.

Once you get it figured out ordering from CMP is very easy. Make sure you send a copy of your driver license, proof of firearms safety training (CCW permit works) and membership in the approved CMP affiliated program.

Last time I ordered one it took 3 weeks from the time I mailed it to I got the Garand. I would expect 4-5 weeks for yours since you're a new customer.

I would ask your questions here. CMP isn't really set up for phone support IMO. You'll find enough people here with experience with the process that your questions should be answered
View Quote

I did not know that my Pennsylvania concealed carry permit counted as proof of firearms safety training.  That’s a great piece of information.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did not know that my Pennsylvania concealed carry permit counted as proof of firearms safety training.  That’s a great piece of information.
View Quote

It should. I've been using my Ohio CCW, just copy it on your computer and have that and everything else on 1 piece of paper
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Receivers are very expensive. It is cheaper to buy a complete rifle. You will need most the parts anyway.

If you want something to go bang, go with CMP. Expect horrible pitting, that is all they are offering currently. If you want a like new rebuilt rifle buy a used rifle with no pitting and send it in for a re-park, new barrel and new stock. If you want the best bang for your buck learn to shop M1’s on Gunbroker. There is some nice examples people gloss over because of lack of knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Receivers are very expensive. It is cheaper to buy a complete rifle. You will need most the parts anyway.

If you want something to go bang, go with CMP. Expect horrible pitting, that is all they are offering currently. If you want a like new rebuilt rifle buy a used rifle with no pitting and send it in for a re-park, new barrel and new stock. If you want the best bang for your buck learn to shop M1’s on Gunbroker. There is some nice examples people gloss over because of lack of knowledge.

View Quote

Should I expect a CMP Expert Grade to have heavy pitting?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good question. No one knows what CMP considers service grade pitting, the grade parts that they use for the build. I've gotten 3 so far, the 1st had very minor pitting. The 2nd 2 about the same, that was in the 2nd set of photos I posted. I've seen others get perfect receiver's and others get worse one's than I have. It's a crap shoot right now
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Its the tooling marks...................
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top