Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 6:38:44 PM EDT
Here is my dilema, I purchased a new Springfield M1A Scout Squad last month. I have plenty of mags, ammo and spare parts. I'm down to the last item, the scope. I am looking for a short to medium range scope, it has to fit this requirement. Now don't flame me, but I'm REALLY considering the Leupold CQT on a smith mount. I also like the idea of a Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. But the Aimpoint is more of a CQB scope I think. What do you guys think? I have been tossing over this for the past 2 weeks and can't make up my mind.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here is my dilema, I purchased a new Springfield M1A Scout Squad last month. I have plenty of mags, ammo and spare parts. I'm down to the last item, the scope. I am looking for a short to medium range scope, it has to fit this requirement. Now don't flame me, but I'm REALLY considering the Leupold CQT on a smith mount. I also like the idea of a Aimpoint mounted on the scout rail. But the Aimpoint is more of a CQB scope I think. What do you guys think? I have been tossing over this for the past 2 weeks and can't make up my mind.

I would go with the aimpoint.  Its going to be hard to find a scope with enough eye relief to work on the scout setup.  you are really limiting yourself when you use a forward mount like that instead of a reciever based one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm considering both mounting options. First being a scout mount w/ an Aimpoint and the second using a ARMS #18 or Smith mount with some type of Leupold scope. I just can't make up my mind. Any other opinions out there?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Elcan?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the Elcan? Any links to pics? Does anyone think the Leupold CQT cope would be best choice?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]

The C79 Elcan is a 3.4x Optical Sight similar in usage to the TA01, TA11, TA31 ACOG series.

got that from another member who uses them in the canadian army.  so its pretty much a low relief scope that cant be mounted forward like a scout scope  I think these are pretty heavy also and bettr options can be had for a smith mount that are lighter and slightly more powerful
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
photos.yahoo.com/bc/btdrygulch/vwp?.dir=/photos&.src=ph&.dnm=M1A-ACOG.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/btdrygulch/lst%3f%26.dir=/photos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Here's My M1A with an ACOG I bought recently off the EE

Nice setup, I have an ACOG on my M4 and LOVE it. What kind of mount is that? I am really leaning towards a Smith mount, so I can still use the iron sights. Then either a Leupold CQT or US optics. I have to do some research on the USO stuff today. The only reason I hesitate about the Loopy CQT is battery life and it will be just TO BIG for my M1A Scout Squad.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The mount is actually part of the ACOG....I really like it ... and it does allow use of the iron sights
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Leupold will be too high, so will any ACOG, so will the ELCAN.

Aimpoint works great.

Or, do like I'm doing and try this.....

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Leupold will be too high, so will any ACOG, so will the ELCAN.

Aimpoint works great.

Or, do like I'm doing and try this.....

www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03/114x26.jpg

Any pics of it mounted on an M1A? PLEASE!!! ;) Do you have a web site for the scope also? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the IOR M2 on my M14s:

and...

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Cincinnatus
     What kind of cheek rest is that and did you put the bipod on yourself? I'm looking for a QD stud for my M14.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Cheek rest is available from DSARMS.COM.

I did the stud myself.  It took a lot of grinding and sanding.
If you have a belt sander, and a decent sense of mechanics... try it.
Otherwise, Springfield does it cheaply, for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top