Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2018 10:27:30 PM EDT
Just picked up my first ever rifle purchase, a CMP M1, that I was storing at my dad's house. The metal is in perfect shape, but it came with an awful CMP birch stock. The grip is huge, the color is ugly, and the front sling swivel fits loose. I tried sanding the hell out of it, which helped, but I'd rather get a new stock set made of walnut. I see them listed on the dupage site, ammo garand and fulton armory. I was originally thinking of getting a Deans Gun Restorations stock. I'm wondering if it is worth the extra money or if these cheaper stocks fit nice and tight. I'm planning to get one unfinished and finish it up as a project.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I typically just replace the CMP stuff with USGI surplus stocks as they are still out there for decent prices.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The long term plan for this rifle is to have it refinished by Shuffs in traditional military park (currently has ugly Greek finish) and get a brand new stock. Basically make it look like a brand new M1, and use it as my primary shooter. I hope to get back into CMP competition at some point, and the metal parts of this rifle are in great shape for accurate shooting (by stock M1 standards). It was my first rifle purchase, and I want to make it an hierloom type thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top