Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2018 12:01:06 AM EDT
I’m looking pretty seriously at getting one. I prefer quality over price. It will be an occasional shooter. I can spend about $800. What are some things I should keep an eye out for when looking for such as brands or characteristics ? I would prefer a traditional stock model.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a WWII carbine.  Spend the extra money to get a decent one.  Inland was the most prolific manufacturer, the most common, and the cheapest out there.
You 'might' be able to locate one for $800, but will likely pay $900 to 1100 these days (at least in my neck of the woods).
Don't waste your money one of the 'new' manufactured rifles.  They will depreciate with time, while a WWII rifle will gain value.

My 2c
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
USGI > most all commercial copies. Even if the barrels is import stamped.

Avoid 30rd mags. Stick with USGI 15 rounders. USGI 30's are OK....but there are too many fakes, and real USGI 30's go for stupid money. Some non USGI 15's  are decent. The KCI Korean ones work.

If you want a shooter, look for one with the post WW2 upgrades....IE adj. rear sight, bayonet lug barrel band, low wood or M2 stocks. Early featured WW2 guns are very high priced, and restorations festooned with fake parts are rampant.

Inland, Winchester, Underwood, IBM, Rock-Ola, Standard Products, Saginaw, Saginaw S'G' (Grand Rapids plant) Quality Hardware, National Postal Meter, and Irwin Pedersen are the ONLY USGI MFG's. All produced during WW2. IMHO, Stick with looking for an Inland, Winchester, or Underwood....they are #1, 2, and 3 in most produced, and other than a premium for the Winchester name, should be the easiest to find. That being said, if you find any of the other MFG's for a good price, buy it. They are all GTG.

Never EVER buy a chrome lined USGI  replacement Herlo barrel. They are junk. Rejected by the Gov. because they were short chambered, and the chrome chambers can't be reamed (easily) as well as other problems like chrome flaking, poor overall quality, etc...If you come across a carbine with one of these barrel, walk away.

There are a few commercial copies that are good. Fulton Armory, and James River Armory's "Rock-Ola" marked carbines are top notch and as good as USGI, they are built on forged mil-spec receivers, use Criterion barrels, and use quality USGI or new made parts/wood. However they are more $$$ than decent USGI examples, but they are "New" if that matters to you. Stay away from the new Inlands, Auto Ord, and ALL the old Universal's. They all have problems. Some of the other old comm. carbine can be good, but it's a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info !
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind the pistol cartridge used in the M1 Carbine was reported to not penetrate the winter clothing of PRC troops during the Korean War.  It hasn't gotten any better!  The carbine was the darling of post-WW2 occupation forces.  Rude awakening when they got to Korea.

Not saying to not get one.  Don't put too much faith in it.

-- Chuck
View Quote
Good lord stop posting that internet bullshit...
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy a WWII carbine.  Spend the extra money to get a decent one.  Inland was the most prolific manufacturer, the most common, and the cheapest out there.
You 'might' be able to locate one for $800, but will likely pay $900 to 1100 these days (at least in my neck of the woods).
Don't waste your money one of the 'new' manufactured rifles.  They will depreciate with time, while a WWII rifle will gain value.

My 2c
View Quote
This

I wanted one badly enough I paid a little higher at auction and don't regret it at all.  I kick myself for not getting one from the batch they put out a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep in mind the pistol cartridge used in the M1 Carbine was reported to not penetrate the winter clothing of PRC troops during the Korean War.  It hasn't gotten any better!  The carbine was the darling of post-WW2 occupation forces.  Rude awakening when they got to Korea.

Not saying to not get one.  Don't put too much faith in it.

-- Chuck
View Quote
plentyofpenetration
With some expansion.......  I mean...

It's going to be better than most pistol rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZcsmdN60E

I don't know what the reports were about the North Koreans, but some say it could've been contributed to just missing.  Especially because many of the had M2 carbines.....  Maybe it really didn't penetrate them, I don't know.  But I mean if you're comparing it to how we test for many other weapons now a days and their effectiveness.  It's not any worse than most pistol rounds.  It might not be a 5.56 but I'm pretty sure it will kill a person dead.

Maybe you're being sarcastic Chuck.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
What farmerbrad said.  There are a bunch of books out there about the carbine.  Purchase at lease three.  War Baby by Larry Ruth comes to mind.  Also, M1 carbine owner's guide by Scott Duff.  Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide ruined me.  Put a firm limit and I mean firm, on the amount to buy.  I finally stopped at 15 during the CMP feeding frenzy.  They are versatile, manageable, and the paratrooper carbine more so.  The self defense rounds add to their lethality.  They are just plain FUN to shoot.  Purchase a gun with CMP or DCM provenance.  Go with USGI as stated above, but know what you're buying to avoid getting the hook.  I 'm wondering if CMP will be selling such guns in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top