Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:28:04 PM EDT
Looking to pick up a M1A1. Lke the weight and balance of the medium weight match barrel on the loaded model but is there a big disadvantage to not getting the heavy weight models.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There are many folk who are more informed than me, but my experience is that heavy or bull barrels almost always lead to disappointment for one reason or another.

Stick with the medium.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Most stocks will need to be modified to work with the heavy, traditional ones anyway, not sure about the various chassis systems.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Medium will fit most all stocks without mods.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The heavy barrel balances poorly unless you put another 1.5-2lbs of lead under the buttstock.  That's a 13.5lb rifle without optics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So it is more thumbs up for a Springfield loaded versus a Match Rifle?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Go match.... My M21 shoots better than me ! I can tell when I make a mistake. I wish all my rifles were as accurate as it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The loaded version has very little to offer someone looking for accuracy. The NM would be far better out of the box. I myself prefer the heavy contour barrel and currently shoot the M21 variety. It is not light by any means, but recoil could almost be called sedate, and accuracy is beyond expectation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Which M1A1, the tank, carbine, helmet or submachinegun?

I'm fond of the lightweights but I think I'll try out a medium next go-round.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top