Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:06:14 PM EDT
Put this together for $11.  The items are used but still work.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll see your cheap and raise you less than half that price.
Part of a 1918 BAR belt, holds six magazines and attached to my old issue web gear.
$5.00 at a garage sale.

Most of the time my 'dump pouch' is an old Chinese issue ration bag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A good start. I had my best friend walk me through what his Marine unit carried and how they carried it in Vietnam. Three ammo pouches, for a total of 7 mags, 2x3 plus one in the rifle. Add a first aid kit, 2x pistol mag pouch, canteen w/ pure tabs,  bayo, headlamp, fire, and a buttbag with poncho, liner, compass, MRE, TP, camo paint, booby wire, extra socks and shorts, basically one day's worth of living and fighting. Battle dressing on a chest strap so you can get to it fast. Metal canteen cup is worth the extra weight. Survival kit about the size of your thumb, couple fish hooks, weights, line, razor blade, waterproof matches, signal mirror, you take it from here.

Buttbag bandolier, same web belts, two strung together in a loop, 3 buttbags, one for another ammo loadout, spare mags, spare parts, all things rifle. One for a couple more MREs, a couple soup packets, etc. Another for basic camp gear, 550, small stove, eating utensils, etc.

Full pack, Alice or framed, with 4 more days worth of MREs, a tarp, ground pad, another ammo loadout, e-tool, small pruning saw, extra clothes, etc.

Set it up right and you can hump all three at once, OR live and fight out of just one at a time. All at once, 7 days in fat city, or 14 on a restricted diet. Unless you're GI Joe, you'll want a truck to hang most of this on, most days, it get's a tad heavy after while.

Be careful buying the newer style surplus only web harneses. The nylon in the straps are too slick to engage the friction keepers and extend fully whether you want it to or not. If youhave no choice, cable ties can keep the straps adjusted right while still preserving the adjustment option.Further, the stitching anchoring the straps is iffy with even a moderate load. Look for the older canvas style, and make usre you can easily repair any straps that do break. Avoid dry rot in the canvas. Buy some extra components when you find them, this stuff seems to be getting scarce in some places. Be careful with web belts, at least three different types of buckles I've seen so far, none mate with the others, and some are not removable.

The lighter and newer molle style rigs are nice for light carbines and short term support, a day's fighting with maybe another day in a shoulder bag, no need to avoid the new system that works and works well for what it is designed to do, but if I have to leave my property, I want the heavier quality gear and a REAL rifle.

Old style webgear makes a nice rig, and it was designed and intended to support a rifle very much like the M1A. Useful, cheap, and sturdy, what more can you ask for?

Remember, you only have a theory, not a solution, until you've shot some, serviced your rifle, ate and slept dry and unfrozen, shot some more, corected the shortcomings you find in your rig, then tested that too. Some rural ranges don't mind if you camp overnight, as long as you obey range rules and don't shoot after hours. Others may look the other way if your car...breaks down...and you're forced to overnight. If all else fails, many national forests have light restrictions on personal defense weapons, but if anyone is around, you'll get looks, probably phone calls, unwanted attention of the DHS kind, etc.

(Not telling you old...ahhh, experienced guys, how to breath, I'm sure you could teach me, just laying this out as a starting point for the kids who might not have access to guys who served in Vietnam.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#3]
What is with you younger, ahh,less experienced guys and cable ties?
We old farts used to wrap everything we didn't want to move with 100 MPH tape.
It will keep the slide adjusters in place and reduced the metal on metal clink.
Heck, you can even attach a flashlight to a weapon with 100 mile per hour tape, of course you can do the same thing with cable ties.

There is nothing you can't do with a roll of duct tape, a can of WD40, and a pair of pliers!
Well, and I suppose a bag of cable ties could be added to the tool kit now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rig. I have one similar but with two canteens, a Kabar Marine knife and a buttpack.

I wish I could find some more M1956 pouches in good shape on the cheap. They say you can use the later ALICE pouches if you cut out the dividers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice rig. I have one similar but with two canteens, a Kabar Marine knife and a buttpack.

I wish I could find some more M1956 pouches in good shape on the cheap. They say you can use the later ALICE pouches if you cut out the dividers.

The last M1956 pouch I bought was VERY nice but it wasn't cheap. Heck, it was the first one I've seen at a show in a while.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Cable ties are good , but you cant beat good ol' suspention line, ( parachute cord) and duct tape for LBE setup. Nice price on the gear by the way. Still use mine for overnite hunts and fishing. Gets hot here in NC and canteens of water are real nice. The buttpack has been up graded to a Blackhawk Mega butt pack and may go back. Its just too big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top