Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2009 5:24:06 PM EDT
Refinished pics at the end...left some character in it!

Today was my first trip to Camp Perry and the CMP North Store.  First off, they have a great bunch of people working there.  They are very helpful and friendly.  I was determined on purchasing a Winchester Field Grade.  

The first rack had 24 of them.  I bummed a guage from the counter folks and started hunting.  Most of them were 2+ to find a new barrel.  I came across one that was a solid 1 on the muzzle.  The stock was pretty dry.  Metal finish was very nice.  Gas tube has a little play but so did the rest of them.  It has a Winchester trigger group, Springfield Op Rod and Springfield 6-50 barrel.  Nice bright bore and nice crown.  It was definately worth the 4 hour drive to hand pic one, especially because the WInny's are only available in the stores right now.  

I couldn't live without it so I bought the rifle and six 240 round spam cans of the Greek HXP.  They also give you a free CMP t shirt or sweatshirt with an order over $1000!

Here is today's purchase and some pics of the CMP North Store.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty good.  All those Winchesters were pretty rough looking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
great post.

i dont know why its so tough to figure out, but what are the requirements to drive there and pick one up?

can a person from another state do so?

dont you have to be a member of their program or some other club ?

i love the picture of all the racks and rifles
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
great post.

i dont know why its so tough to figure out, but what are the requirements to drive there and pick one up?

can a person from another state do so?

dont you have to be a member of their program or some other club ?

i love the picture of all the racks and rifles

Here's a link to the requirements.
http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

And you can download the order forms here and have them partially filled out when you get there.
http://www.thecmp.org/orderinginfo.htm

I'm from PA and all I needed was my PA concealed carry permit and drivers license for proof of citizenship and firearms activity.  My local club is a CMP club so I just needed my membership card and that was it.

You just have to pass the background check like buying a gun from an FFL at home any you are set.

Link Posted: 3/6/2009 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Where there any correct grades on the rack
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome. It is amazing, that after all these years, they still have so many Garands around. Since CMP will probably never do M14's and M16's, it makes you wonder if we are anywhere near the end of an era. Must somehow visit that store one of these days.

BTW, how much does a 240 round wooden box weigh? Filled of course.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing quite like racks and racks of Garands to get the juices flowing. Unfortunately when I was able to drop in at the South Store a couple of years ago there were no Garands at all. I settled on a stripped Winchester receiver and built my own. Let us know how it shoots.

Link Posted: 3/7/2009 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer the questions above:

No, I didn't see any correct grades on the racks.  There were a few "D" models.  There was a beautiful one that looked close to "new in box."  It was $2300.  (wiping drool off chin)

A wooden crate of HXP 240 round cans weighs about 40# in my best guestimate.

I'm opening them right now to check for corrosion and haven't seen any yet in the first 2 cans.  
I bought a can from a local shop a while back and there were about 10 rounds in it I wouldn't fire.
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to make a trip to the CMP South Store one day very, very soon. I can't wait! I really want to get an M1 Carbine - although my '55 H&R Garand could definitely use some company.
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to make a trip to the CMP South Store one day very, very soon. I can't wait! I really want to get an M1 Carbine - although my '55 H&R Garand could definitely use some company.

If it is anything like the NS, you have a very good chance of getting a nice Service Grade carbine. I was up there yesterday- the carbines were good but everything else was pretty ugly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the first post for pics of the refinish job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice and congrats on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! I didn't get mine from the CMP, but I found a heck of a deal from a guy in CA, shipped to my door for $625! (Yes, I'm an 03/FFL). I also managed to have a friend make a trip to the south store and pick up 2 cans of ammo for me. I need to get him to make another trip, even though ammo isn't exactly the killer deal it was a few weeks ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top