Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:25:27 PM EDT
Is the Service grade rifle worth spending the extra money for?
Does anyone have pics of both?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thanks!

You won't regret getting the best grade you can afford.  I've handpicked some nice field grades and I've seen some get pretty good ones by luck of the draw.  But if you want a nicer rifle, get the Service Grade.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always suggested getting a Service Grade for your first rifle and then trying out the other grades afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have other Garands and I still chose the Service grade. One of these even came with an IH bolt, op rod and sights.

Here is my latest two and the Inland Carbine that arrived a day later:

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I was at the South Store for the one-day sale of the Underwoods last month. I went through all the field and service grade Garands and I honestly didn't see a big difference. As a matter of fact, a lot of either grade should have been graded "rack."

OTH, there were one or two that could have passed for a "correct" grade. I passed on those because I prefer my Garands to be of World War II vintage and those were definitely Korean War vintage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
 If you have the extra $$ and the patience to wait, get the service grade.  The chances of getting a bum field grade run higher than getting a bum service grade.  This is based from my observations of what people have posted that received them thru the mail.

If you are going to a CMP store to pick one out for yourself, by all means pick whatever rifle floats your boat no matter what the grade!

Personally, I like the rackers.  I'll pick one out that has a sewer pipe for a barrel but maybe has good wood or other parts.  Then I'll throw a new, or newer, barrel on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW I placed an order for a Service Grade (RM1SAS) a couple weeks ago.  I wish I'd done it years ago.  

I don't know about you, but one of my reasons for finally ordering a Garand is the price of CMP ammo.  $238/768 = .31 (and that's packaged in 8 round clips in bandoleers!)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks!

RR,  photos won't show the diff between Service and Field Grade.   You are just as likely to get a rifle that looks well worn as looks fresh from a re-build in either grade....

The difference in grading is ALL about barrel condition......  and if you want a shooter, then that's what you should be concerned with.

Re-Read the CMP's own descriptions of the various Grades and TAKE THAT TO HEART !!!

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I am ready I was actually thinking about just driving to the CMP in Alabama and picking one out. Do you just show up? Or do you have to let them know you are coming?

They are only open three days a week (Thursday through Saturday). It would be advisable to call ahead and find out what they have on the shelves before making the trip, or just log in at the CMP forums for the latest updates.

A trip to the South Store is a most wonderful experience.

CMP website.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When I am ready I was actually thinking about just driving to the CMP in Alabama and picking one out. Do you just show up? Or do you have to let them know you are coming?

They are only open three days a week (Thursday through Saturday). It would be advisable to call ahead and find out what they have on the shelves before making the trip, or just log in at the CMP forums for the latest updates.

CMP website.

I wish they had a "West store"
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMP website.

I wish they had a "West store"

The CMP is going to be at the Western Games in Phoenix.  With rifles.  Registration closes very soon.  Go.

Hand picking is the way to go.  Here's a SG I got at the N. Store this summer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top