Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2007 10:05:54 AM EDT
What scope & Mount would you recommend for a M1a Newbie (such as myself!!)?? I have a moderate budget, but I do NOT want to get junk that I will NOT like. Any opinions on the Shepherd scopes that Fred mentions in his SGN columns??
Thanks, Bill,
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think a M1A should be iron sites only
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think a M1A should be iron sites only

PFFFF!

http://www.smithenterprise.com/

see if they still have their mount available for $105 plus shipping. great company and great service + quality.

ETA thats a Luepold 3-9X40 scope that i picked up for $199 at sportsmans warehouse with some $20 Warne rings.  ( low ) so i have @$325+ tax and shipping for putting the scope on my M1A

i later took the cheek pad off, it wasnt needed after all, your results may vay
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried the Iron sights?
M14's have the best iron sights around, really work well.

Failing that, go with the smith enterprises above.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the set-up I use with a Burris 2-7X handgun scope. Works great.

http://ultimak.com/M8preview.htm

Link Posted: 2/3/2007 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought an ARMS #18 and I really like it. It is super low profile and rock solid. Mine is the older style. That being said I have gone back to the iron sights because they are that good. I shoot my M1A better with irons at 100yds than any other scoped rifle I have. I dont consider myself a good shot but I have cranked out some MOA groups with the irons and Portugese ammo.

If I can find some older pics of the arms mounted I will post them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have a ARMS 18 on my M1A NM with a 10X SS scope for a long-range set-up. I also think the Sadlak mounts are first class.

However, for my other two "standard model" M1A's I have them with the scout mounts, one a Springfield mount & my last the Ultimak M8 (the far better of the two) since I consider these last two more "tactical" than my NM since I also run Aimpoint M2's on them.

My .02.
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, once again we have a question like how far is up.  How much is it to spend on rings?  How much is too much to spend on mounts?  How much is too much to spend on optics?

There are a lot of people who can make recommendations based upon their experience on the boards.  In the absence of a budget, why not consider buying the cheapest mount, rings, and scope?  I don't mean it sarcasticly.  Do it cheap.  Learn through hard experience that cheap is cheap.

If someone says do a forward scope scope with the Ultimak mount, Smith rings and Leupold or Burris scout scope and you blanch at spending $800, you come up with something cheaper.

If someone says do a rear mounted scope with Ron Smith's mount, rings and discuss the scope with him and you don't want to spend $1000, you come up with an alternative.

Most people here go cheap, learn from their experience and move on.  You can always resell your Wally World scope.  The cheap scope mount will probably break anyhow (yeah, I had one break) and the cheap rings are cheap enough.

Sometimes I deal with a guy who has a markup that reflects that he is trying to make a living and provide service.  Ron Smith is one of those guys (although he has had pithy words for me when I broke a set of his rings).  It is cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and pay for the quality.

Response to the interjection of "iron sights".  Some people wear glasses.  Some understand that with low power optics, you have light gathering capability at 2 am and can shoot accurately a few hundred yards.  Been there and done that with only star light.  The same applies to seeing into shadows during the day time.  To the original poster, sticking with iron sights is an option until you really do research into what you want or need.  Personally, I used Premier Reticle of Richmond Virginia to do furbishing of optics for M1As.  However, if you don't have the money and you want a scope, go cheap and learn first.  There is no shame in doing so.

Link Posted: 2/3/2007 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sometimes I deal with a guy who has a markup that reflects that he is trying to make a living and provide service.  Ron Smith is one of those guys (although he has had pithy words for me when I broke a set of his rings).  It is cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and pay for the quality.

your post goes back and forth so many times, i cant tell if you are saying go cheap or go expensive, and on top of that i cant figure out if you are in approval of Smith products or not...

how the heck does someone in daily life break a set of scope rings?

as i said, i put a 3-9X40 leupold scope on my M1A for $325 tops. i have no fear of the cheap rings breaking, and if i do manage to break them, i must have bigger issues to worry about.  i feel i have a quality set up at a very good price, it served me just fine for deer hunting.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/builttoughf250/M1A2.jpg

ETA thats a Luepold 3-9X40 scope that i picked up for $199 at sportsmans warehouse with some $20 Warne rings.  ( low ) so i have @$325+ tax and shipping for putting the scope on my M1A

I got you beat.  I paid $30 for my Chinese 3rd Gen scope mount and $30 for a NC Star scope.  Throw in some $10 rings and that is $80 total with shipping!

I since replaced that $30 scope with $150 scope (pictured) and that scope was replaced by an $1100 Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10x40 illuminated TMR.  But nothing was wrong with my original set up.  I just like designer shit.

Link Posted: 2/6/2007 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi guys, is there like a battlesight zero for a scope on an M14?  I have read the thread on iron sights BSZ, but could not find one for a scoped rifle.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I also have a ARMS 18 on my M1A NM with a 10X SS scope for a long-range set-up. I also think the Sadlak mounts are first class.

However, for my other two "standard model" M1A's I have them with the scout mounts, one a Springfield mount & my last the Ultimak M8 (the far better of the two) since I consider these last two more "tactical" than my NM since I also run Aimpoint M2's on them.

My .02.

How did the super sniper scope work on your m1a?? Is the fixed 10x too much magnification for an m1a platform??
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
smith enterprise 2006 mount.  7002 rings.  SS fixed 10x scope

still able to use OPEN SIGHTS  

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/cruze5/m1a3.jpg

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that is how I want mine to look when she is all grown up!!!

One more Question = What brand of scope rings are those?? I have NO clue about rings yet!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
those are smith enterprise rings as well.   model 7002 heavy rings

link

mount
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
those are smith enterprise rings as well.   model 7002 heavy rings

link

mount

Yes, this what I have on two of my three SEI rifles.  Third rifle uses the SEI ACOG/MIL STD Mount.  Rock solid and proven all over the planet.  As for your scope, there's a lot off good deals to be had on VX-II and III Leupolds.  I prefer variables. You don't need to go over the top on optics in the real world and it sounds like you're asking the right questions and getting solid feedback from the get go.  And yes, master those wonderful iron sights!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/cruze5/m1a3.jpg

So what kind of groups are you getting with that setup?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#17]
to be honest,  i haven't shot it that much.    i can do a test with  South african, aussie f4, and m118SB, and m118lr ammo............. when it warms up outside

did i mention that was the loaded model?  

its not hole in hole if thats what your wanting to know.  were talking 1.5 with m118lr ammo.   if i shot this rifle more the groups would shrink, but im stuck in a bolt action frenzie for the time being
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top