Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2006 2:26:01 AM EDT
First I'd like to say thank you to everyone here for all the info!

My friend has been trying to convince me to get a m1-carbine but I've had an eye for the m1a for a while.

Anyways, after reading up and looking at the links posted here I have some major concerns as I live in SoCal.

1.) Magazine

A lot of the guns I've seen for sale include 20rnd magazines. IIRC this is a big no no in CA so 10 rnd max. If I order it from a website will they omit the offending article with the sale to make it CA legal? Will any swap it for a 10rnd?

2.) Flash Hider.

Another big evil boogie monster no no in CA. How the heck do I buy a M1A when they all seem to have flash hiders on them? Can I have the store do the change to a muzzle brake? If I do an FFL transfer can the FFL make it CA Legal? (I don't really know much about FFL's I've bought my 2 pistols straight from turners...).

I see M1A's going for really low prices here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_41

But Fulton offers CA variants here: http://www.fulton-armory.com/.

I want to be able to afford some extra stuff later like the JAE-100 stock and stuff and a nice scope so I don't want to spend any exorbient amounts. And unfortunately I've only seen Fulton's website offering any with muzzle brakes.

For the prices they are asking for the gun stock, I can probably have Evan's make me a custom one.

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
pnkssbtz,

no worries, if your looking into a SA M1A, they offer most of their models in CA compliant (ten round mag and muzzle brake) trim.  Most retail shops in CA will be selling the CA versions of the rifles with ten round mags and muzzle break already installed.  If you are looking at buying from an out of state FFL and having it shipped to a local CA FFL you better make sure that it doesn't have a flash suppressor/hider installed as that would make it an assault weapon (open mag well + flash hider).  There are no laws that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong) that prohibit threaded rifle barrels, so if you are insistant on buying from an out of state FFL, simply have him uninstall the flash hider before shipping, and install a muzzle break once you take possession (SA, and Smith come to mind for muzzle breaks), and buy some decent ten round mags.

jl1252
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered a M1 Garand? Seems like it would be California ready and give you pretty much the same experience. Or, you could move . . .
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If the M1A that you want comes with a 20 rnd mag, just have them ship it seperatly to me.  That will keep you legal.  Same with the Flash Suppressor.  I don't want you to get in trouble.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
pnkssbtz,

no worries, if your looking into a SA M1A, they offer most of their models in CA compliant (ten round mag and muzzle brake) trim.  Most retail shops in CA will be selling the CA versions of the rifles with ten round mags and muzzle break already installed.  If you are looking at buying from an out of state FFL and having it shipped to a local CA FFL you better make sure that it doesn't have a flash suppressor/hider installed as that would make it an assault weapon (open mag well + flash hider).  There are no laws that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong) that prohibit threaded rifle barrels, so if you are insistant on buying from an out of state FFL, simply have him uninstall the flash hider before shipping, and install a muzzle break once you take possession (SA, and Smith come to mind for muzzle breaks), and buy some decent ten round mags.

jl1252

Thank you. I was unaware of the threaded barrel on the M1A.

Problem with retail stores, is they are asking quite a bit, plus everything in california is a tad higher than it should be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Jus thave the store send a 10 round mag and remove the flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What about the "budsgunshop.com" website, are they reputable?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pnkssbtz,

jl1252

Thank you. I was unaware of the threaded barrel on the M1A.

Problem with retail stores, is they are asking quite a bit, plus everything in california is a tad higher than it should be.

Do you have someone already to do the transfer if you order one? If not you might be in for a shock when you hear the prices most FFL holders will charge you if they will even bring it in for you. They want to discourage you from doing exactly what you want to do by ordering one cheaper so they want small fortune to fill out the paperwork and hold the rifle for 10 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top