Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 7:57:06 AM EDT
I very recently purchased a Springfield Armory "Squad Scout".

I am having trouble determining which parts are reproduction parts that need to be replaced with USGI parts.

The flash hider is obviously cast.  But, what other parts are likely to be?

Bolt?
Op Rod?
Op Rod Guide?
Rear Sight Parts?
Trigger Group Parts?

How do I determine for sure?

Also, what parts are different between the standard M1A and the "Squad Scout".  Is it just the length of the bbl. and size of the gas hole?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Many of us here have had no problems with SAI cast parts.

But some have had problems.

If the bolt serial number reads

0000000-SA
  F00000

than it is forged. That's the "F."

The Operating Rod, some of the trigger group, and probably the rear sight parts are cast.

If you're really worried about it, replace the Operating Rod, Operating Rod Guide, Extractor, Firing Pin, and Hammer with USGI. Maybe even replace the entire Trigger Assembly.

As for differences between the standard M1A and the "Scout Squad," besides barrel length and gas port tuning differences, the only major difference could be a heavy barrel. Lock the bolt to the rear and you should be able to see the rear of the barrel  where the Operating Rod was. If the barrel outside diameter is the same (approx. 1.1 inches) for more than a few inches, then it's a heavy barrel.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]

If the bolt serial number reads

0000000-SA
  F00000

than it is forged. That's the "F."

Forged to USGI Spec. or just "forged"?

Maybe even replace the entire Trigger Assembly.

Many of my trigger group parts are stamped with a bunch of numbers and then the letters: HR A (including the hammer and housing)

Is that some sort of SA stamp or are they actual military parts made by "Harrington & Richardson".

thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The HR-A parts are Mil-spec parts made by Harrington & Richardson, They made M1 garands and I believe, M14's later on as well. (we're talking early to late 50's)  Any other parts marked like that, or just the trigger group parts?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The HR-A parts are Mil-spec parts made by Harrington & Richardson, They made M1 garands and I believe, M14's later on as well. (we're talking early to late 50's)  Any other parts marked like that, or just the trigger group parts?  

Yes, the only parts I've found so far that are stamped HR-A are the trigger group parts.  I'll have to examine all the trigger group parts closer when I get home tonight, but I'm positive that at least the hammer and trigger group housing are stamped HR-A.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

As for differences between the standard M1A and the "Scout Squad," besides barrel length and gas port tuning differences, the only major difference could be a heavy barrel. Lock the bolt to the rear and you should be able to see the rear of the barrel  where the Operating Rod was. If the barrel outside diameter is the same (approx. 1.1 inches) for more than a few inches, then it's a heavy barrel.

So the gas cylinder, piston and lock are exactly the same?  Just want to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
How does it shooot?

The only time to worry about re-pro parts vs GI parts is when it doesn't work.

My standard M1A came with only one GI part (trigger housing group by H & R, like yours, but with a Winchester hammer).  I would have been completely satisfied if not for the fact that even with the rear sight bottomed out, I was shooting like 3-6 inches hight @ 25 yards.

Then in disassembling the rear sight with my Garand Combo Tool, the windage knob slotted nut broke.

I put on a spare Garand rear sight assembly (with a GI metric elevation knob), and was able to zero the rifle with 4-7 clicks from the bottom.

Having said that, I since went on a USGI parts scavenger hunt.  So far, I have:  a new TRW bolt, spare Winchester Trigger Group (used, so the trigger feels very good), and Springfield Armory GI op rod.

Good luck.

tk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top