Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:01:54 PM EDT
Ok, I've finally exhausted all my knowledge on my Garand problem.  

I've got a Springfield Armory Garand I got through the CMP back in 2000.  I've put a few hundred rounds through it since then, mostly the non-corrosive Korean stuff.  Anyhow I've recently developed a problem with it.  

When shooting it will feed the first round fine, then not pick up the second round.  I manually work the action and it fires all the remaining rounds without a problem.  I figured the springs were old and needed replaced so I changed the originals out with Wolff springs but the problem still happens.

Any suggestions?

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look closely at the follower rod for being bent.  If bent, it can rub/bind on the bullet guide.

You are greasing the rifle as to military recommendations? Right?

Wolfe extra power op-rod springs usually cause more problems than they solve, if you can get one of the mil-spec stainless springs from Orion7, you can eliminate a possible problem area.

One other thought, do you have a decent supply of clips?  They will wear out after a while and cause feed problems.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Check to see if the cartridges are binding on the bullet guide near the bend.  This might show as copper streaks.  I'm in the middle of sorting out my own M1 problem and my bullets drag on the bullet guide enough to impair loading.

If your bottom rounds are binding they might be cause the magazine rounds to not be shoved upward into position in time to catch the bolt.  And after you clear that spot the rest of your rounds feed fine.  

SoS

the M1 rookie and anti-authority
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would look closely at the follower rod for being bent.  If bent, it can rub/bind on the bullet guide.

You are greasing the rifle as to military recommendations? Right?

Wolfe extra power op-rod springs usually cause more problems than they solve, if you can get one of the mil-spec stainless springs from Orion7, you can eliminate a possible problem area.

One other thought, do you have a decent supply of clips?  They will wear out after a while and cause feed problems.

From what I can tell the follower rod is straight.

I am greasing per the CMP manual included with the rifle with Tetra Grease.

Hmmm....  I might find a standard spring to see if that helps...

The clips are the ones the ammo is packaged with - they seem to be new - at most just slighly used.

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check to see if the cartridges are binding on the bullet guide near the bend.  This might show as copper streaks.  I'm in the middle of sorting out my own M1 problem and my bullets drag on the bullet guide enough to impair loading.

SoS

I didn't see any copper streaks.  They seem to feed fine if they feed at all.

Thanks for all the help!
Spooky
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
First idea that came to my mind is the gas plug screw worked loose.  Make sure its tight before the cyllinder goes down range.  
I interpreted what you wrote to mean
short stroking is occuring and the next round is not being picked up or bolt speed is so slow it does not chamber the round.  Low gas pressure/bolt speed could come from many places including...loose gas plug screw, worn oprod, boogers in gas hole in barrel, dirty parts, weak ammo like LC 69.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditch the Wolff spring.. their x-tra power springs cause problems...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
A BIG +1 on ditching the Wolff springs.  Op-rod spring tension is a big balancing act in the operation of an M1.  Extra power only means that the spring is pushing up on the follower harder making it harder to strip the next rond from the clip, and increases resistance to the gas system casuing possible short strokes.  This happens all at the same time.

The only spring that tension was increased on with success with the clip latch spring.

Get a kit from Orion7 that has all the springs adn pins in it.  I believe this kit also has small parts like the extraxtor and such.  I put one in my rifle and it took on a whole new personality.  Like somone mentioned above the gas plug could be loose too.  This is not too hard to check.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, things to do:

Check gas plug
Ditch the Wolff spring
Contact Orion7 - do you guys have his contact info?

Thanks for all the info!
Spooky
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok, things to do:

Check gas plug
Ditch the Wolff spring
Contact Orion7 - do you guys have his contact info?

Thanks for all the info!
Spooky

Just google Orion 7, it comes right up.  IIRC it's m1garandrifle.com
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top