Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:45:36 PM EDT
Got a polytech M14s with a bad bolt, what are my options for getting it fixed? I know that M14 bolts are not interchangable, who could replace my bolt with USGI or something?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tim is down Huston and does the installs,
www.warbirdscustomguns.com/

I'll second that. He has a excellent reputation among those in the M14 circle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Just curious.....did you gauge the chamber?  That's really the only way to determine if your headspace is bad.  Of course having brass pop primers is also a good sign, too.  LOL

Replacing the bolt with a GI bolt will most probably fix the headspace problem however it's not a drop in deal.  It has to be lapped in.  Only a good smith will know how to do that.  Nothing is taken of the receiver. The Chinese recievers are of extremely good quality and in spec.  The bolts, however, were too soft from the get-go.

So, pick up a GI bolt and find a good smith.  I don't know the fella mentioned by the two other posters.  I do know that "Warbird"  ( http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/Rifle%20Shop%20services.htm ) has done more of these swaps than most other guys.  Also, he knows how to do it so it won't require replacing the barrel.  

In any event, once you get that attended to, you'll have a fantastic shooter.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent my chinese M14S to Warbirds for the bolt and barrel swap. Came out beutifully.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Got a polytech M14s with a bad bolt, what are my options for getting it fixed? I know that M14 bolts are not interchangable, who could replace my bolt with USGI or something?

thanks

Spend the money on Warbirds G.I. bolt conversion. You will not regret it. Then hang on to that Poly Tech for life.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I used Smith Enterprise for my bolt/barrel swap. He was rather pricey. Warbird get lots of praise  . I would check with him also.  The China bolts are normally JUNK. From not being hardened properly to most of the lugs are cut at the WRONG angle and so you don't get proper contact with the reciever lugs. Very little in alot of them. Thats one of the reasons for rapidly growing headspace on them. Im no expert but got a chicom rifle that the reciver was soft and the bolt was junk. But she has been turned into a very nice rifle now. Get it done and you will see  why the M14 has the following it does. A great Main battle rifle. Congrads..... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#7]
First thing you need to do, Ace, is GET a USGI bolt. And then see if it goes in. You might get lucky and have it drop right in. This is NOT normal but it does happen on occasion--I know of at least two and maybe three guns where a USGI bolt dropped right in with satisfactory lug engagement and everything was fine. If there's a big gun show near you where someone is selling M14 bolts, take your stripped barreled receiver and op rod and see if you can find one that fits. I did that and it worked out very well for me.

If your new GI bolt doesn't drop in, you'll have to send the gun and bolt off to someone like Warbird to get it fitted. In most cases you'll have to provide your own bolt for this anyway so you're no further behind by procuring one on your own.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Option 3 - you can buy a *new* Norinco bolt out of Canada for $100 US and it is made to spec (correct hardness) and will drop in.

How you get it here . . . is up to you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can find somebody with several bolts, see if one "might" just happen to fit. I lucked out and after trying 5 bolts, one did fit and headspace properly. The question is, what is "bad"? I think one of the problems is that the bolts were headspaced long to begin with. Does it close on a Field guage?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Where does one obtain these "good" bolts?  Is there a company that sells these parts?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Skrate - I have two gunsmiths locally that had bolts. Very fortunate in that. Plus, I do a fair bit of business with them(don't tell my wife) and they both like me. HaHa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top