Smith Enterprise
Springfield Armory
Fulton Armory
Others?

Why?

I'm not even gonna include FedOrd.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Overall - Smith Enterprise, Inc.  SEI had the best quality control and best dimensional geometry of all commercial M14 receiver manufacturers.

Best value buy - Springfield Armory, Inc. receivers under serial number 097727.  These receivers are under-rated IMO.  Some folks would say a Chinese receiver is the best deal for the money.  However, a SA, Inc. receiver will accept a USGI bolt without any gunsmithing.  Also, I have a higher confidence level in the heat treatment of Valley Ordnance M1A receivers than pre-'94 ban Chinese receivers.  FWIW and YMMV, void where prohibited by law, yada, yada.

Best one you can buy today that is in current production - LRB Arms

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Three words.......................El Ar Bee To tell you the truth, I have no experience with any other.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
My LRBs are flawless.  Plus if you buy a full rifle from them you get USGI parts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of a couple folks having short cycle and FTF problems with LRB rifles, but not many.  Simply put, nobody builds a milspec M14 receiver (and don't mention drawings because you can't shoot rounds out of a drawing).  If I was looking to buy an M14 rifle these days, I'd find a used one--SA Inc most likely.   I wouldn't spend more than $1100 on a standard grade rifle, $1600 for one that's been match conditioned.  SA Inc guarantees the heck out of the rifles, but not so with bare receivers.

Armscorp builds the Fulton receivers.  I don't think they're worth what Fulton charges for them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
TRW
But I'd rather have a Winchester for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
TRW

Those seem to be a little scarce!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The best one(s) is the one(s) you own

My MK14 SEI is built on a 2001 production Springfield Armory cast receiver.
The rifle functions 100%.
My second rifle is being built on an old heel stamped Norino forged receiver.
I post results soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
LRB
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The best are the ACTUAL US M14 recievers.
After that?
LRB by a long shot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRW

They are only scarce for us subjects
Repeal 922(o) and the Sporting Clause

I think I read on Different's site that Smith did a test back in the late 70's/early 80's and determined there was little to no difference in function or service life between a well made cast reciever and a forged one. If I'm wrong please correct me Different. If it takes USGI parts and works, I doubt you'll see any difference unless you shoot 70k-80k a year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Smith Enterprise, Inc. -- cast or machined forging.  Their trueness to original mil specs has never been duplicated by any commercial effort in the M14 arena.  Different has it right.  Should have pics up in a few days of SEI's new receivers in prototype form.  Very high end stuff, from what I hear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
TRW

They are only scarce for us subjects
Repeal 922(o) and the Sporting Clause

I think I read on Different's site that Smith did a test back in the late 70's/early 80's and determined there was little to no difference in function or service life between a well made cast reciever and a forged one. If I'm wrong please correct me Different. If it takes USGI parts and works, I doubt you'll see any difference unless you shoot 70k-80k a year.

SEI did their receiver testing in the 1980s.  A well made investment cast receiver will outlive the grandchildren of 99 % of civilian M14 type rifle owners.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
LRB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top