Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 9:00:46 PM EDT
Has anyone tried the S&B 308 surplus ammo.  1980 production.?
Looking to see how it does in Socom 16s and standard M1As.
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you see this for sale? I ask as I shoot their 45ACP a lot and would be willing to give the .308 a try.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I am interested in it because i have seen it at $137.34 for cases of 1060rds... 80's production.
Anthony
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I do know is that it is corrosive....
What do you have to do different than clean your gun after shooting it?
Do you have to use anything special?
How soon do you have to clean the gun?
Is it just the barrel you are worried about?

Anthony
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I use to shoot it all the time when I could still get it and it was non corrosive and damn accurate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One thing I do know is that it is corrosive....
What do you have to do different than clean your gun after shooting it?

Just clean the gun thoroughly.

Do you have to use anything special?

No, nothing special. Soap and hot water are the best.

How soon do you have to clean the gun?

It is best to clean the gun while it is still warm from shooting, But, that is only because the carbon hasn't hardened yet. The time between the last round and clean up will vary depending upon the climate. More arrid areas will allow more  time than humid areas. If you clean the gun within a few hours you should be fine.

Is it just the barrel you are worried about?

No, you need to be very thorough when cleaning after corrosive ammo. The bolt needs to be disassembled and all of the parts cleaned. Also, if you are shooting an auto loader, the gas system must be cleaned.  
Cleaning after corrosive ammo really is no big deal. It doesn't require any magical hoodoo. Just clean the gun when you're done. Thats it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
again, where is this ammo?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The ammo is sold by samco.... the only bad thing is they are charging 54.00 case shipping.
Anthony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top