Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 5:32:17 PM EDT
I went to my armorer's shop today, and he has this M-14 type rifle sitting there. I have seen it there for a while, but never took a close look at it.

Today was the exception - I got a look at it, and it was a 1994 or 1995 production Springfield Armory M-1A. It was assembled/tuned by the US Marine Corps Rifle Team. Turns out, my coach at Camp Perry ( 2005 Whistler Boy Championship ) owned this rifle while he was in the service. He shoots Palma these days, and I guess he decided to get rid of it.

This rifle does have the bayonet lug, so I'm thinking it is a pre-ban, although I didn't think of writing down the serial number. It didn't have any barrel markings. It was glass bedded VERY nicely, the trigger was very finely tuned with a smooth pull and crisp break, and it had a hand-lapped TRW bolt. It had a leather sling on it that looked like it could tell you some stories.

My smith' was asking $1,500 for it. I think this is a GREAT price, as I am leaning towards an M-14 for and 600/1,000 yard work I will be doing in competition. I know the M-14 can still be very competitive at these ranges - I just need to get the barrel twist and barrel type down...

There lies one problem. I just set aside $800 for a Rock River Arms National Match rifle, and I won't touch my bank account for a long time ( I'm a bad spender ). HOW on earth can I scrape up $1,500 in a few months, not counting my salary? Anyone here have any ideas? I can't let this rifle fall into the hands of a guy who might bubba-ize it...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell your soul...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking about it. That rifle was a beautiful one, finely maintained with an established record.

VLODPG, I hate you with every cell in my body.

You guys think I found a keeper?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Cure for M-14 Desease.

Best cure ever
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about it. That rifle was a beautiful one, finely maintained with an established record.

VLODPG, I hate you with every cell in my body.

You guys think I found a keeper?

Give your armorer a layaway payment to hold the M1A.  Work a second job to pay off the balance on the M1A.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't Be hatin!
Just because I have a LRB SN #>300 I bought mine after the MK specialities fiasco went down & waited months for the LRB to become available. Yes! It is still with the gunsmith waiting to be finished but I got in when they were at  the intro price of $499.00.

Wish I had a newer one without the dot matrix printing though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]
You could sell some blood, sperm, or a Kidney. Or try a layaway plan. Small loan form a credit union?

There is no known cure for the M14 bug. You are DOOMED!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
In your post you said the rifle was assembled by the  Marine Corps rifle team, IF so.
Dont worry about the bayo lug. Take a better look at the rifle.
It should be DOUBLE lugged, with a match grade barrel if so and the barrel is not worn out .
It is a steal at 1500, Buy it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
CFE738... how much will you get from donating plasma? Is it a painful procedeure?

I'm not sure I trust small credit unions, so I'll keep away from that.

RL15, I'm relatively sure the rifle was a Supermatch, in which case it is double lugged. I'm going to call him and ask about the barrel and round count.

Damn... Anyone willing to buy an air rifle, or a VCR? I need this thing so bad. I had a dream about this thing.

Does anyone know how the Supermatch will hold up at the 1,000 yard line? Will 175gr. Sierras ( M118LR or Black Hills eqivalent ) bend the op-rod?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
M14s/ M1as dont have the op rod problems that M1 Garands do ,
And Springfield Armory Did not start threading the rear lug intil the last few years.
And they never put a front lug on.
Talk to your armorer he will show you or explain it to you more clearly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CFE738... how much will you get from donating plasma? Is it a painful procedeure?

I'm not sure I trust small credit unions, so I'll keep away from that.

RL15, I'm relatively sure the rifle was a Supermatch, in which case it is double lugged. I'm going to call him and ask about the barrel and round count.

Damn... Anyone willing to buy an air rifle, or a VCR? I need this thing so bad. I had a dream about this thing.

Does anyone know how the Supermatch will hold up at the 1,000 yard line? Will 175gr. Sierras ( M118LR or Black Hills eqivalent ) bend the op-rod?

My $0.02, if I was competing at 1000 yards I'd have Smith Enterprise, Inc. install a M118LR chambered Crazy Horse barrel on my Super Match M1A and also install the Crazy Horse hammer and trigger pins and connector lock.  You can shoot the M14/M1A with 175 grain cartridges but it's hard on the system unless you modify it.

For further background information on the M14/M1A, see the freebie no registration web site www.imageseek.com/m1a  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top