Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 11:15:26 AM EDT
Dad and I both bought Blue Sky import Garands back in the late 80's. I sold mine several years ago but he still has his. Or did anyway, I've confiscated it, he's 78 and won't be shooting it anymore. From what I've read just lately here, seems everyone thinks they're crap. I never thought this one was too bad at all except for the bbl, looks like a sewer pipe in a bore scope. It's a Springfield 2.1 mil build, metal doesn't look bad, altho most of the parts don't match the correct drawing numbers. Stocks in good shape, probably a replacement tho, no markings. I've been figuring on maybe a DGR redo with a new bbl. I know its not going to be a collectible, and just a good looking shooter, but would it be worth shopping around for at least the right drawing number parts before I get everything reparked? Thanks. Greg  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't bother trying to find the correct drawing part numbers. I'd replace what needed to be replaced, get it reparked, and shoot it. You would end up with more in it then it would be worth and most Garands are not correct anyways, as parts were replaced with updated one's as stuff wore out. Nothing wrong with that for a Military gun anyways and the import stamp will kill any collector $$$$ anyways.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The collector part won't mean anything if I end up going ahead with a DGR restoration because the stock will be replaced and everything reparked. Then import stamp issue will be moot then too, because the bbl will be replaced also. As far as replacing the incorrect drawing number parts and having more in it than whats its worth really doesn't matter because if I go with DGR, the cost of the restoration isn't cheap. I'll probably have more in it in the end than if I went with a CMP correct. It's just that there seems to be plenty of Garand parts around that I could replace some of mine with the proper numbers. Such as the trigger group, op rod, etc. I know that no ones going to know it by looking at it hanging on the wall, but just seems more satisfying to know that its truer to issue.

Gee, now that I've typed it out, looks like I've made up my mind anyway, doesn't it? LOL. Greg  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it does. There might be lots of parts around but have you priced them recently? Putting one into correct condition can cost $$$$ unless you are able to find someone who will be willing to swap parts with you so both of you can have the correct #s. Also, a lot of the parts I see for sale are not in the best of condition and I would suspect they were shanged out because they were worn in the first place. For shooting I would rather have a good incorrect part over a out of spec correct one.
Also, good luck [I mean that in a good way] in finding the correct BBL in good shape. They are out there but good ones will go fast. A new new BBL will ruin all your work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That rifle is "correct" when you consider it's history in your family.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
IM team member hepcat85....he had his Blue Sky Garand refinished by Orion7 (i think )....Awesome job!

WBK
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I said at the first, I've never thought this one looked bad at all. But what gets me is looking at all you guys' pictures of your buff, correct ones!! I sit here looking at those and start daydreaming of having one like em. So then I think maybe a DGR rebuild is just what  I need. Of course that'll cost me $800+ just to have something pretty. Could have bought an H&R today at a gunshow for $900 that looked absolutely beautiful. Don't know/care if that is a good/bad price, it doesn't make much sense to spend $800+ and the original cost of the Blue Sky rifle to get it rebuilt. The worst part about it is I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and have been spending all my time on every forum available. Been off work since then and looks like another 6-8 weeks. Lots and lots of pictures out there and its driving me nuts!!! LOL Anyway, thanks for all the replys. Greg
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IM team member hepcat85....he had his Blue Sky Garand refinished by Orion7 (i think )....Awesome job!

WBK

Yes I did. But I ended up getting a new barrel. The Blue Sky's are notorious.

It's a bit of a crap shoot going with Blue Sky. I ended up paying about retail....but it's a great rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
DGR is the shit, and I don't make that statement lightly. Phenomenal work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Make it what you want it to be regardless of "correct" or "collectible". If you want pretty, make it pretty. The VAST majority of M1's are just milsurp rifles(although part of our history). The main thing is that they be kept as SHOOTERS! Get that M1 in top shootable condition! And get some ammo while you're at it!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#11]
If it shoots ok, don't sweat the barrel.  The reason that Blue Sky got a bad rep is because some of their "stamps" actually distorted the barrel.  If the barrel is toast, however, it's not that hard nor that expensive to find a replacment that would be appropriate for that receiver.  Believe it or not, you an usually find someone on eBay selling the proper barrel for that receiver and not have to pay an arm and a leg.  Just do a search on eBay for " M1 Garand Barrels" and see what's avaialble.  I just looked and there are 26 listed including Winnies and post war.  Check the specs to find a good one.  Then you'd end up with a rifle without an import mark and the proper metal.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with MADDOGKILLER.  If you get rid of it, you'll someday regret getting rid of dad's gun.

That doesn't necessarily mean I'd dump a ton of money into it.  Just replace what you need to replace to keep in running good...don't worry about doing a major restoration project out of it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top