Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 8:56:23 PM EDT
My bud wants to trade me a Garand for his NM m1A I think it is a texas one.
It's sn is 0040XX that is less than 4100.  He said that the guy he got it from
told him it was made in 1972.  It is a really nice rifle all Gi parts NM sights etc.
what is the value on this thing?

any help I thank you in advance

James.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It's well worth it.
You can easily buy another Garand from the CMP.
Seriously, if it is what he says, buy it now.
Don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:38:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Your potential  M1A, while a low # and nice, is not a Texas M1A.

My M1A, #37XX, was assembled between 11/01/74 and 11/24/74, which was when ownership was being transfered to Bob Reese of Genesco, IL.

A gentleman went to a huge amount of trouble to compare a "born on" index for Springfield M1A's in this link--M1A Born On Date.

This was compiled with help from Springfield Armory and their records. It would put the M1A around late 1975, early 1976, after Springfield went to Genesco, IL

The M1A is worth 1200-1400 in good condition.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I say its still worth trading. What make USGI parts does it have?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your potential  M1A, while a low # and nice, is not a Texas M1A.

My M1A, #37XX, was assembled between 11/01/74 and 11/24/74, which was when ownership was being transfered to Bob Reese of Genesco, IL.

A gentleman went to a huge amount of trouble to compare a "born on" index for Springfield M1A's in this link--M1A Born On Date.

This was compiled with help from Springfield Armory and their records. It would put the M1A around late 1975, early 1976, after Springfield went to Genesco, IL

The M1A is worth 1200-1400 in good condition.

I believe the NM Rifles are a bit different then the regular M1As. From what I could find out from SA. and looking at the receivers SA [Ill] kept some of the Texas receivers and used them for NM rifles. My Gen. Ill 99xx NM has a Earlier texas type receiver but was built in 78. The records are vague unless you go to the BATF as SA sent off all the old records to them and that early of a rifle will not be listed in the records they have. I tried...........they were very nice tho and spent some time trying to research it for me. Just look on the underside of the BBL above the nut on the end of the gas tube and you will see where it was made.

Easily worth a Garand, if fired little it would be worth 12 to 1500 probably. The only part that might not be GI would probably be the trigger HSG. My 99xx was TIGHT as heck and really bedded very well. PITA to just get it out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When the Texas SA, Inc. was sold to the Reese family of Illinois in November, 1974 the M1A receiver serial numbers had been stamped, at most, up to 0046XX.  References: 1) my personal phone interview with Elmer Ballance 2) the entire Tom Buss personal notes collection on Ohio Gun Collector Association shows from September, 1971 to May, 1976 3) Tom Buss' documentation on M1A receivers and barreled actions purchased by him between December, 1971 and June, 1975 from both Texas SA, Inc. and Illinois SA, Inc. 4) my discussion with Illinois SA, Inc. Customer Service Department regarding the start of their M1A serial number records 5) my private e-mail correspondence with several owners of M1A rifles in the 002XXX and 003XXX serial number ranges 6) the occasional instance of slightly soft receivers beginning at serial number 008XXX based on information provided by M14 gunsmiths Ted Brown and Tim Strait 7) my interview with the shop foreman of Hillside Manufacturing from 1976 to 1996 and 8) my interviews with the shop foreman of Valley Ordnance from 1993 to 1996 who quoted from the Valley Ordnance log of M1A receiver serial numbers and associated manufacture dates in his possession during the interview.

M1A serial number 009XXX is not a Texas M1A receiver based on the sources cited above IMO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top