Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 11:47:46 AM EDT
Here's my 1944 SA Rack Grade after a facelift.

CMP replacement stock with 5-6 more coats of BLO rubbed in and finished with 600 grit paper.
CMP replacement barrel. Criterion by Krieger.
Barrel install/head space and repark by Springfield Armory Inc. The total turn arond time was 2 weeks. They also reassembled and test fired the rifle.
Shooting it tomorrow to test the grin quotient.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks Great RR !  

May I ask what you have in it now and how much for each upgrade ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks Great RR !  

May I ask what you have in it now and how much for each upgrade ?

Off the top of my head:

CMP Rack Grade $372
Barrel $170
Stock $120 (These are new production stockbeing sold by the CMP with their Logo cartouched into the side where the arsenal acceptance cartouche would normally be on a vintage stock. They are not Boyd stocks.)
Rebarrel & Finish Chamering $125
Repark $75

About $872
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm debating either doing that or buying an M1A barrel and receiver to build all my spare parts onto.  Same $$ either way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks like a fake.

Go put some hard wear on it to make it genuine agan

SoS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!  You really renewed that rack grade.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(These are new production stockbeing sold by the CMP with their Logo cartouched into the side where the arsenal acceptance cartouche would normally be on a vintage stock. They are not Boyd stocks.)

Care to bet on that?

They've been re-worked by Dupage Trading, but they ARE boyds.

Got one, love it.

Tim
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
that looks great  going to cmp web site right now and getten one   good luck
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where are the BEFORE pics?

Looks great.  I love those CMP stocks.  I have three on hand, I need to order a few more before they are gone.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Yep! It came with a glass bedded stock that looks like it was done by a drunk blind guy.

Apparently someone thought wood screws would be a good Idea, then changed their mind and took them out.

Here's the old barrel. Gulp!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Take your serial number and look it up on the SRS research site - www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

You could have had a legitimate National Match Garand.  If so, you may have destroyed a rifle that was worth over $2,000 even with a worn out barrel and re-done glass bedding.

Your finished product looks great - but I always caution anyone to look the history of their rifle up before permanently altering it.  Some rare things went out of the CMP even as Rack Grades.  I had a Harrington and Richardson Garand for a little while that came as a Rack Grade that should have gone as a Correct Grade or Collector grade, and had probably less than a hundred rounds put through it.

Edited:  I saw the Ser # in the first pic, it is a WWII receiver, so it was not a SA produced NM rifle (those are in the late 5 million-6million range).  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Grin quotient will be high.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Take your serial number and look it up on the SRS research site - www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

You could have had a legitimate National Match Garand.  If so, you may have destroyed a rifle that was worth over $2,000 even with a worn out barrel and re-done glass bedding.

Your finished product looks great - but I always caution anyone to look the history of their rifle up before permanently altering it.  Some rare things went out of the CMP even as Rack Grades.  I had a Harrington and Richardson Garand for a little while that came as a Rack Grade that should have gone as a Correct Grade or Collector grade, and had probably less than a hundred rounds put through it.

Edited:  I saw the Ser # in the first pic, it is a WWII receiver, so it was not a SA produced NM rifle (those are in the late 5 million-6million range).  

I checked it out before I did anything.  It's just a mix master. No national match parts at all on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Kudos to you for checking it out - many don't take the time.

The rifle turned out very good - as nice as any I have seen.  I believe it is money and time well spent!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Recon_Rabbit

Now, not to burst your bubble, the rifle does look good, but you’re going to have problems on the new stock.

The rear hand guard should not be touching the front of the receiver nor make contact with the lower stock.  With the tightness you have now against the receiver, the hand guard is going to crack. Also, with the rear hand guard touching the stock, this will cause changes in barrel harmonics/shot stringing (tension of the guard against the receiver will cause the same).

Looking at the cylinder to front hand guard, here too the fit is too tight and will cause stringing. Again, you do not want the gas cylinder tight against the front of the hand guard or you will end up with shot stringing. Since the correct fit is for the two to be loose, in NM’g, the hand guard is glued/screwed to attach it to the middle band so it does not make front contact as it moves around.

Thanks for the tips on the stock. I'll get those binding spots on the stock taken care of.

I must be doing something wrong. I shot the rifle this past Sunday. I initially shot at 50 yards and was putting 3 shots into about 3/4" group. At 100 yards, I was putting 5 rounds into 2". All without stringing. Just nice circular like groups. I'm 51 and I can't even see the bull without a flourescent orange stick-on to make it visable to these tired old eyes.   I wonder what it will do with the stock free ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Recon_Rabbit

Now, not to burst your bubble, the rifle does look good, but you’re going to have problems on the new stock.

The rear hand guard should not be touching the front of the receiver nor make contact with the lower stock.  With the tightness you have now against the receiver, the hand guard is going to crack. Also, with the rear hand guard touching the stock, this will cause changes in barrel harmonics/shot stringing (tension of the guard against the receiver will cause the same).

Looking at the cylinder to front hand guard, here too the fit is too tight and will cause stringing. Again, you do not want the gas cylinder tight against the front of the hand guard or you will end up with shot stringing. Since the correct fit is for the two to be loose, in NM’g, the hand guard is glued/screwed to attach it to the middle band so it does not make front contact as it moves around.

Thanks for the tips on the stock. I'll get those binding spots on the stock taken care of.

I must be doing something wrong. I shot the rifle this past Sunday. I initially shot at 50 yards and was putting 3 shots into about 3/4" group. At 100 yards, I was putting 5 rounds into 2". All without stringing. Just nice circular like groups. I'm 51 and I can't even see the bull without a flourescent orange stick-on to make it visable to these tired old eyes.   I wonder what it will do with the stock free ?

I would certainly make sure the areas Dano pointed out are ok, but there just ain't no way for him to make the observations he did based on the photo's you've provided.

Just make sure that the FRONT handguard can move a little and the REAR one has SOME (doesn't need much) clearance.

Those groups you're getting are fantastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top